Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2024, 06:48 PM   #21061
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Lets all remember David Parker's claims of "democracy" when he advocated the same thing:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1747328534190969161

https://twitter.com/user/status/1725540221180109026
Oh David Parker... if you ever want to mildly trigger him just wait until he opines on public education and then remind him that he's childless and was home schooled and thus has zero life experience on the topic and knows nothing about what he's speaking. I mean he won't become a gibbering idiot over it(more so then usual anyways) but it got me a defensive reaction way back when.

Although I don't know if he's still childless... it's been a while since I googled him.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 10:17 PM   #21062
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If Smith wants to be an American so bad, just go be an American.
I had a hell of a time getting into America, we don't want her.
Old 09-25-2024, 07:15 AM   #21063
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The City of Red Deer looked at the financial impact the change might have. In a report, the city's administration found the changes might cost almost $1.5 million for the next election — around 3½ times more than in past general elections.

One section of the Red Deer report, which came out earlier this month, assumed that with 30 per cent voter turnout and one provincial referendum question, there would be about 90,000 ballots to count.

"It will take four workers 37 days (counting 24/7) to hand count 90,000 ballots," the report said.
"To complete the count in four hours, it will take 1,200 workers."
I laughed out loud at this. What kind of people are they finding to count votes who can count at the whopping pace of 25 votes per hour? lol. Why is it taking over 2 minutes to tabulate ONE VOTE? Math not their strong suit in Red Deer, obviously.

90,000 votes spread across a city is nothing really to count. I used to work in polling stations and we'd count 1200 an hour per person.

75 man hours to count 90k votes - you get some ancient old people in there doing it and maybe it's 100 man hours. Probably honestly takes more than that to calibrate/set up/program the machines.

Last edited by malcolmk14; 09-25-2024 at 07:17 AM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 07:24 AM   #21064
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Red deer votes for these loons, they should be thanking their UCP gimp daddies for reaching further into their coffers for the pleasure of MAGA fantasies.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 11:07 AM   #21065
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I laughed out loud at this. What kind of people are they finding to count votes who can count at the whopping pace of 25 votes per hour? lol. Why is it taking over 2 minutes to tabulate ONE VOTE? Math not their strong suit in Red Deer, obviously.

90,000 votes spread across a city is nothing really to count. I used to work in polling stations and we'd count 1200 an hour per person.

75 man hours to count 90k votes - you get some ancient old people in there doing it and maybe it's 100 man hours. Probably honestly takes more than that to calibrate/set up/program the machines.
Maybe the numbers are out to lunch, having never worked in a polling station I'm not sure. But it's important to note that Red Deer does not have a ward system so each ballot will have 30 candidates, of which up to 8 are selected on each ballot. Plus the Mayor which is tabulated separately. Plus 16 Public School Trustee nominees of which 7 are elected. Plus the 6 Catholic School Trustees that were elected. Lastly, they are anticipating 1 provincial referendum question.

It doesn't seem as simple as counting a single vote in a Federal Election for example.

https://elections.reddeer.ca/media/r...on-Results.pdf
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2024, 12:04 PM   #21066
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

This whole outlawing of counting machines is dumb and grows out of a Donald Trump lie.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2024, 12:23 PM   #21067
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Maybe the numbers are out to lunch, having never worked in a polling station I'm not sure. But it's important to note that Red Deer does not have a ward system so each ballot will have 30 candidates, of which up to 8 are selected on each ballot. Plus the Mayor which is tabulated separately. Plus 16 Public School Trustee nominees of which 7 are elected. Plus the 6 Catholic School Trustees that were elected. Lastly, they are anticipating 1 provincial referendum question.

It doesn't seem as simple as counting a single vote in a Federal Election for example.

https://elections.reddeer.ca/media/r...on-Results.pdf
Some of that is included in the 90,000 ballots though. There are 110k people in red deer so they basically included a city ballot, a provincial ballot and a school ballot. So the total ballot count is right but the conplexity should be addressed.

But 1200 people for 4 hours is an insane estimate. Assuming 1 counter and 1 verifier that’s 600 teams for 90000 ballots. Thats 150 ballots per team. Over 4 hours that is 1.6 minutes per ballot. It just doesn’t take that long to write down ticks even on an 8/30 sheet.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 01:02 PM   #21068
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good point, definitely missed the 90,000 ballots is 30% voter turnout vs that population.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 08:06 AM   #21069
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don Braid explains how the people of Alberta are now beholden to the whims of the UCP board, which is totally how democracy is supposed to work.

Quote:
But more than current issues are at play here. A massive shift in the power balance between the premier and her party is occurring.

The UCP board, elected by UCP members, is now developing and endorsing policy, and expecting the premier to implement it.

A draft bill of rights from a UCP group in Medicine Hat was endorsed “verbatim” by the board. It calls for “the right to bear arms,” a straight steal from the U.S. Second Amendment.

Remarkably, the party president even suggested the board vote should be taken as approval by the entire party membership.

This is unheard of in nearly 50 years of Alberta governments calling themselves conservative.
https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...3957000103ed85

He's also posted the full text of the bill of rights amendments, and they are about as dumb and America worshiping as you'd expect from this group of morons, referencing DEI, vaccines, castle doctrine rights, and just stupid wording.

Quote:
20. Freedom to Demand Independent Public Inquiry into the Conduct of Legislators, Judges and other Government Appointed Officials;
Uh, ya, sure. You can have the freedom to demand all you want. Demand away. Action? Ya, that's not in there. What a meaningless clause.

I now see why some CP UCP voters ####ed off to the US after voting for this mound of fetid feces. 'Merica!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2024, 08:14 AM   #21070
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/planned-a...pert-1.7051971

To continue..Danielle Smith is fighting for the rights of Albertans to not take vaccines and therefore spread disease through medical facilities, seniors homes, care facilities etc, resulting in sickness and death. This is ####ing dumb, in case there was any debate. What about the rights of Albertans to health care? What about immune compromise individuals?

Speaking of rights, what about the rights to healthcare access? Can I demand MAID in a Covenant health facility, or access to sexual health care they disagree with, because some ####er in Rome says so? Is that a right in their new bill? No, of ####ing course not, because this has never been about rights, it's about control, and living the way they want you to live.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2024, 09:12 AM   #21071
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they inadvertently giving the rights back to Trans people with this bodily autonomy right. All the bluster they have put forward on that and even the whispers about abortions, the bodily autonomy right would make the government stay out of it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 09:37 AM   #21072
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Are they inadvertently giving the rights back to Trans people with this bodily autonomy right. All the bluster they have put forward on that and even the whispers about abortions, the bodily autonomy right would make the government stay out of it.
Naw, parental rights trump kids rights.
Old 09-26-2024, 10:01 AM   #21073
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/planned-a...pert-1.7051971

To continue..Danielle Smith is fighting for the rights of Albertans to not take vaccines and therefore spread disease through medical facilities, seniors homes, care facilities etc, resulting in sickness and death. This is ####ing dumb, in case there was any debate. What about the rights of Albertans to health care? What about immune compromise individuals?

Speaking of rights, what about the rights to healthcare access? Can I demand MAID in a Covenant health facility, or access to sexual health care they disagree with, because some ####er in Rome says so? Is that a right in their new bill? No, of ####ing course not, because this has never been about rights, it's about control, and living the way they want you to live.

They want the right to not face the consequence of their decisions.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 10:10 AM   #21074
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I've written and deleted multiple emails to my MLA (Myles McDougall) because I can't decide if it will even matter. He's been in attendance in the worst of those so-called town halls where they discuss conspiracies and anti-vaxx nonsense. He's so deep in this stuff that he clearly doesn't represent my family at all. Feels like anything I say will be swiftly deleted from his inbox.

Does anyone know if they track support/dissent to their government contact points for gauging public opinion? I suppose a minimalistic message might be enough if they do track it.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 10:28 AM   #21075
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I've written and deleted multiple emails to my MLA (Myles McDougall) because I can't decide if it will even matter. He's been in attendance in the worst of those so-called town halls where they discuss conspiracies and anti-vaxx nonsense. He's so deep in this stuff that he clearly doesn't represent my family at all. Feels like anything I say will be swiftly deleted from his inbox.

Does anyone know if they track support/dissent to their government contact points for gauging public opinion? I suppose a minimalistic message might be enough if they do track it.
Try CC’ing an opposition MLA in your emails

The UCP clearly have no desire to actually represent and improve the lives of regular Albertans. Their goal is to keep just enough voters distracted by focusing on nothing burger issues so they can continue to hold office and do the bidding of their corporate overlords.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 10:38 AM   #21076
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ive tried to start an email to mine as well...but i only get a few words in before i start using swear words
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 10:46 AM   #21077
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Inform the closest adjacent opposition MLA, they're a better chance it will get to the House and be brought up. The NDP are pretty good for that.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote