Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2024, 10:09 AM   #4901
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
I’m doing the golden triangle next week solo from banff.

Any suggestions or insights from those that have done it before? I’ve driven these roads but other than. Banff - lake Louise haven’t cycled any of the roads.
Only thing Id mention is Ive heard from a couple people now that there seems to be bears everywhere- particularly on the parkway.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 10:21 AM   #4902
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Nice one Kybosh. I did that too yesterday. It was tough, and some really sharp climbs in addition to the overall amount (you know the one in particular ). Lots of DNF’s due to flats and mechanicals as well, a number of people at the side working on their bike, or just walking along with their bike back to the start.

But great weather out there, and a well organized event.
I am curious, not road racing before, will the Road race in Canmore this weekend be similar to what you experienced for the Crux gravel race? I ask as I see it says the Road race starts at Nordic Centre, and is rolling terrain which I googled and says is flat area with short ups and downs.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-roll...ating%20slopes.

All the best! Road race only Sunday not doing the Crit or hill climb on Saturday.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 10:24 AM   #4903
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Have to get CP stickers on our bikes to identify each other at races.
Were you there too? You going to ghost in a couple of weeks?

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 06-04-2024 at 10:27 AM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 10:26 AM   #4904
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno099 View Post
I am curious, not road racing before, will the Road race in Canmore this weekend be similar to what you experienced for the Crux gravel race? I ask as I see it says the Road race starts at Nordic Centre, and is rolling terrain which I googled and says is flat area with short ups and downs.

All the best! Road race only Sunday not doing the Crit or hill climb on Saturday.
I actually knew nothing about this one until I was talking with someone at the Crux race, and I haven’t looked at the course. I doubt it will be as climby as the crux course though, it’s rare to do 1400+ meters of climbing in 80 km of road riding. Possible, but rare.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 06-04-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:29 AM   #4905
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the route:

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/6029742523/

You will definitely have some climbing to contend with(though probably nothing like the gravel race), and if the west wind is blowing hard, expect to fight that on the return. Probably the worst hill is the last one, but it will be uphill most of the way back. You can streetview the route if you want a better idea.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2024, 10:58 AM   #4906
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m about 4 months behind in my training, but I’ll probably be there. Did a lap of the Cochrane Crusher course yesterday. The right of ways they use to connect the gravel roads pounded my upper body like nothing I’ve ridden in awhile. Ghost isn’t bad for that, I’m just afraid it will rain.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 11:26 AM   #4907
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Here's the route:

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/6029742523/

You will definitely have some climbing to contend with(though probably nothing like the gravel race), and if the west wind is blowing hard, expect to fight that on the return. Probably the worst hill is the last one, but it will be uphill most of the way back. You can streetview the route if you want a better idea.
Thanks. Did not think about using streetview (been a long past 5 days...) Streetview was helpful to get a good idea of each lap.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 12:04 PM   #4908
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I was there, thought i would let everyone chase Oli and pick off people that went to far in the red, forgot that I would also be suffering the last lap and a half, was counting down ever KM on last lap.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:11 PM   #4909
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno099 View Post

I don't know what distance you're doing but I did 6 laps a couple years ago and it was 1500 meters of climbing. Race will be as hard as competitors make it. No steep hills but everyone attacks on every rise so it adds up after a few laps.
Usually a pretty good race, crit is sketchy, always a crash or two in the chicane.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:54 PM   #4910
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I was there, thought i would let everyone chase Oli and pick off people that went to far in the red, forgot that I would also be suffering the last lap and a half, was counting down ever KM on last lap.
Hah, yeah, pretty much the same for me. My goal was to negative pace it….go easy the first few, then try to finish strong. Instead I got progressively slower for the first 4, but managed to improve the last lap by a couple of minutes.

Oli is a fast guy, impressive.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:57 PM   #4911
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I’m about 4 months behind in my training, but I’ll probably be there. Did a lap of the Cochrane Crusher course yesterday. The right of ways they use to connect the gravel roads pounded my upper body like nothing I’ve ridden in awhile. Ghost isn’t bad for that, I’m just afraid it will rain.
I assume you mean the “Roads may be impassable” sections they should be smoother by the time the race comes around, but those are the most interesting parts of that course. But they can be absolutely terrible and rutty and rough, for sure.

Hopefully the weather for ghost is better than last year for sure…cold and muddy.
Old 06-04-2024, 05:41 PM   #4912
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Which of the local "learn how to maintain and repair your mountain bike" courses would people recommend? New to owning a full suspension bike and I don't have any idea how to maintain/fix anything myself.

Thanks in advance
I did the U of C Rec one a few years back and it's awesome. 2 full days. You bring your own bike and do a nearly full disassemble, cleaning, tuning, etc.

I was in the same boat. Didn't know much more than changing a tube and I came out of it pretty comfortable doing anything on my bike.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2024, 12:53 PM   #4913
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I assume you mean the “Roads may be impassable” sections they should be smoother by the time the race comes around, but those are the most interesting parts of that course. But they can be absolutely terrible and rutty and rough, for sure.

Hopefully the weather for ghost is better than last year for sure…cold and muddy.
Don't look at the forecast
Old 06-05-2024, 02:02 PM   #4914
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Kicking around the idea of a Trans BC Enduro. Not sure if I'm ready for something like that, but it's in Fernie on trails I know so.......maybe.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 03:49 PM   #4915
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Don't look at the forecast
Hah, well a lot can change in 10 days.