Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2024, 01:44 PM   #521
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It took me a few episodes of season 1 to get into this. The acting was mixed at first and the characters initially seemed uninteresting. I found the show really did a great job of building up though. Really liking it right now.

The story is definitely a smaller world. It's likely only a 4ish season show, and should have a much tidier resolved ending than GoT. It obviously helps that Martin has already written who survives and who doesn't.

This show starts off about 200 years before the GoT. I guess they could keep stretching it out...I guess we've still got 8 generations before we get to Daenarys? They'd have to do a lot of recasting along the way though, so I doubt we go there.
I think every person and their dog wants a Robert's Rebellion adaptation.

But GRRM thinks otherwise.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 02:41 PM   #522
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I love the intro song. Feels comforting like the old HNIC intro.
You mean exactly the same as the old one. In addition to the westworld one. They're all objectively terrible haha
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 06:28 PM   #523
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I think every person and their dog wants a Robert's Rebellion adaptation.

But GRRM thinks otherwise.
Robert's Rebellion is such a focal point that it would make sense to do that as its own show. You'd probably want 2-4 generations of leaders to make that work.

I think they'll likely just confine the current show to the Dance of the Dragons. I don't know enough about the lore to state if anything happens between that and Robert's Rebellion, but I understand its kind of a slow decline for the Targaryans without a huge notable event in between.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 07:34 PM   #524
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to like this show. I watched it last night hoping that I’d find a spark with the show but it just isn’t very interesting to me. The characters are bland and there isn’t really any tension building.

I enjoy a slow burn show that takes time to really develop the characters. Unfortunately, this show seems really slow without any interesting character development.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 07:42 PM   #525
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Robert's Rebellion is such a focal point that it would make sense to do that as its own show. You'd probably want 2-4 generations of leaders to make that work.

I think they'll likely just confine the current show to the Dance of the Dragons. I don't know enough about the lore to state if anything happens between that and Robert's Rebellion, but I understand its kind of a slow decline for the Targaryans without a huge notable event in between.
The dunk and egg story happens in between those two events. There's an event that wipes out a lot of Targs which kind of leads into the time of the mad king.

I believe there is a show coming for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 07:45 PM   #526
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I want to like this show. I watched it last night hoping that I’d find a spark with the show but it just isn’t very interesting to me. The characters are bland and there isn’t really any tension building.

I enjoy a slow burn show that takes time to really develop the characters. Unfortunately, this show seems really slow without any interesting character development.
I read from critics that the first couple episodes are a slow start, but that it will take off by 3 or 4.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2024, 01:30 AM   #527
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I read from critics that the first couple episodes are a slow start, but that it will take off by 3 or 4.
Me and the wife had the same critic of game of thrones. We only made it through 8 episodes now over 15 years. Initially we only made it through the first 2 and we're like" #### this". We recently started it back up just to give it a second chance. Definently not the go to still but it's starting to get better to the point we want to watch more.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 07:43 AM   #528
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
The dunk and egg story happens in between those two events. There's an event that wipes out a lot of Targs which kind of leads into the time of the mad king.

I believe there is a show coming for that.
Apparently they've already started carrying for Dunk and Egg, with shooting to begin shortly:

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/gam...ll-1235961895/
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2024, 01:39 PM   #529
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just watched Episode 1 of the second season and that was a pretty good starter episode. Cant wait to see what else happens.
bdubbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 06:33 PM   #530
BigThief
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The new opening sequence is absolutely sick.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 01:16 PM   #531
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ser Cristen epitomizes the pusillanimous middle manager who has avoided making any significant decisions throughout his entire career. He derives pleasure from projecting his insecurities onto his subordinates, incessantly criticizing them for minor mistakes to conceal his own failings and lack of confidence. And he just got a huge promotion.

I'd say this archetype is universally despised and makes for a simplistic, yet effective villain.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 01:26 PM   #532
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Ser Cristen epitomizes the pusillanimous middle manager who has avoided making any significant decisions throughout his entire career. He derives pleasure from projecting his insecurities onto his subordinates, incessantly criticizing them for minor mistakes to conceal his own failings and lack of confidence. And he just got a huge promotion.

I'd say this archetype is universally despised and makes for a simplistic, yet effective villain.
He's also ####ing the boss, which may track in some people's work places too.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 01:33 PM   #533
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
He's also ####ing the boss, which may track in some people's work places too.
tough work being a grandma ####er eh?
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 01:42 PM   #534
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
tough work being a grandma ####er eh?
Teenagers, grandmas...he doesn't seem to discriminate.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:17 PM   #535
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Teenagers, grandmas...he doesn't seem to discriminate.
In the GOT universe, there isn't a whole lot of age difference between the two anyway.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:22 PM   #536
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the GOT universe, those are the least of their concerns.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:01 PM   #537
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Heard the actor is getting #### on in his social media account for his role.. his fictional role in a fantasy show. Has led to him shutting down comments.
Old 06-25-2024, 05:45 PM   #538
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

This show really makes just about every character very unlikable. Anyone who is likeable gets offed.