Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2024, 01:07 PM   #4641
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Dark City : The Cleaner on showcase has me watching with interest.
2 episodes in so far, and its a good blend of dark humour, serial killer mindset.
It’s a New Zealand Dexter to some degree.

Give it a shot .
I'm convinced. Thanks!
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:10 PM   #4642
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Infinite multiverse stuff bores me. I know there are theories on it, but it's basically a cheat code for lazy writing. Nothing interesting ever comes out of it because anything, nay, everything is possible at all times. If it wasn't, then it isn't an infinite multiverse. And if everything is possible, nothing is unexpected.

I'm not sure who came up with this type of story first(wake up in a different strange world, slightly different than your own) but Philip K Dick probably wrote my favourite version of this with "Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said".
Asimov had a few short stories from the 1950s.

He had one that was about a page long; two scientists were discussing how there was a chance that anything could happen in a universe, then a giant pit appeared out of nowhere under them, and they died.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:01 PM   #4643
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Asimov had a few short stories from the 1950s.

He had one that was about a page long; two scientists were discussing how there was a chance that anything could happen in a universe, then a giant pit appeared out of nowhere under them, and they died.
Sounds like he hit his 500 words! Love Asimov.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 11:54 PM   #4644
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Dark City : The Cleaner on showcase has me watching with interest.
2 episodes in so far, and its a good blend of dark humour, serial killer mindset.
It’s a New Zealand Dexter to some degree.

Give it a shot .
We finished this.
Loved it!
Hoping for S2!
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 02:50 PM   #4645
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Infinite multiverse stuff bores me. I know there are theories on it, but it's basically a cheat code for lazy writing. Nothing interesting ever comes out of it because anything, nay, everything is possible at all times. If it wasn't, then it isn't an infinite multiverse. And if everything is possible, nothing is unexpected.

I'm not sure who came up with this type of story first(wake up in a different strange world, slightly different than your own) but Philip K Dick probably wrote my favourite version of this with "Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said".
I could have sworn I replied to this, but apparently not. Maybe that was in another universe.

Anyway, yeah I think you've got to have a reason for using a multiverse. One of my absolute favorite sci-fi stories is Ted Chiang's Anxiety is the Dizziness of Freedom, and it uses a multiverse to brilliant effect, essentially using it to make a case for good moral actions against existential uncertainty. And it follows what I think is the other key rule of multiversal stories: you've got to have rules and limits. (And you have to stick to them, the point of the story can't just be trying to break the rules and limits.) The highly-constrained nature of the multiverse in AitDoF is what makes it really interesting. He shrinks the story down, rather than letting it just expand exponentially, like so many multiversal stories want to do.

Also, I recently read a collection of Phillip K Dick stories for the first time since I was about 20. Man, there were a lot of supple women back then. Supple lady scientists! Supple lady bureaucrats! Supple lady grocery clerks! Love his ideas, but once I started noticing it I could help fixating on his usage of that word.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 09:17 AM   #4646
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally getting around to watching Luther. Not sure why after so long, but this is really good. Would prefer to never have Idris Elba character John Luther angry with me. Nor Ruth Wilson's character Alice Morgan.
I expect you all have watched this already, but if you haven't you should. 3 episodes in and is hard to turn off.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:39 AM   #4647
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
3 episodes in and is hard to turn off.
It gets easier.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 12:36 PM   #4648
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It gets easier.
Hahaha!
Well played
Old 05-21-2024, 02:29 AM   #4649
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am not sure if this has been mentioned or not but I absolutely love the show on History called "The Foods that Built America" It goes into detail about the various foods, brands and more and how they shaped our future and existence. Absolute great quality and you actually are amazed to learn a lot of things. It's a combo of tv show, documentary, biopic and more. It's very well done and the acting and the sets are pretty high quality too!

I believe you can stream on the History TV app or the Global TV app. I just watched and PVR on cable.

I am also now watching "The Brands that Built America" but this is more of a business and corporate version of the above. Also fantastic!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:11 AM   #4650
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I am not sure if this has been mentioned or not but I absolutely love the show on History called "The Foods that Built America" It goes into detail about the various foods, brands and more and how they shaped our future and existence. Absolute great quality and you actually are amazed to learn a lot of things. It's a combo of tv show, documentary, biopic and more. It's very well done and the acting and the sets are pretty high quality too!

I believe you can stream on the History TV app or the Global TV app. I just watched and PVR on cable.

I am also now watching "The Brands that Built America" but this is more of a business and corporate version of the above. Also fantastic!
I wouldn't say "Absolute great quality" & "the acting and the sets are pretty high quality" , the sets and acting have a high school play vibe to them. If I had a dollar for every time the "food inventor" stared off off camera right I'd be a rich man. It is very formulaic in both acting, sets & show structure.

I will acknowledge there are some "wow that's cool I didn't know that" moments.

It is essentially a 1 hour televised version of the radio sports "Great Idea".

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote