Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2024, 03:22 PM   #1941
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Isn't tyranny of the majority just democracy?
Needing 14/20 clubs to vote in favour of a change is not really democracy either, though. That's their whole point. A supermajority is needed for any changes to take place, which clearly violates British business law. This isn't the NHL, where the owners get to make their own rules and the governments just go along with it.

All this is designed to do is limit the fine City will be hit with. It isn't like the Premier League are going to banish them down to League 2 and make them start over. If the Premier League had been smarter, they'd have instituted wage caps tied to verifiable matchday income and TV revenue fifteen years ago when spending started getting out of hand. Way too late now.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:31 PM   #1942
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Manchester United have decided that Erik ten Hag will stay on as manager, a source has confirmed to ESPN.

The Dutchman's future has been in doubt following a poor campaign in the Premier League.
https://global.espn.com/football/sto...k-ten-hag-stay

Well...this might be interesting.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 05:11 AM   #1943
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad and unexpected news. Kevin Campbell has died after a short illness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...s/cqvvyypg33zo
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 06:40 AM   #1944
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brighton are appointing Fabian Hürzeler as their new manager. At 31, he easily becomes the youngest PL manager of all time.

Really interesting hire and I'm curious to see this play out. He's highly regarded in Germany, but obviously inexperienced and has only coached in the 2nd division in Germany (won promotion with St. Pauli this past season). Similar philosophy to de Zerbi, so who knows ... could be a masterstroke or a complete disaster.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 06:55 AM   #1945
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm fine with it. I wanted him gone for sure, but the market for managers is pretty terrible right now ... I would have been fine with Pochettino, but I'll easily take ten Hag over somebody like Tuchel or Southgate. Now, the scary part here is that Southgate might still be in play, if he steps down after the Euros and ten Hag craps the bed next season. Scary stuff. Still hope it's going to be McKenna at some point, but for now, I'll take ten Hag over some of those alternatives.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:52 AM   #1946
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Millwall and Montenegro goalkeeper Matija Sarkic died on Saturday at the age of 26, the Championship club confirmed on Saturday.

Sarkic fell ill in his home country while on international duty. Montenegrin daily newspaper Vijesti reported Sarkic died in an apartment in Budva early in the morning.
https://global.espn.com/football/sto...sarkic-dies-26

26?? Wow. Way too young. I didnt hear about this until I got my copy of The Vijesti.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2024, 06:46 PM   #1947
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I'm fine with it. I wanted him gone for sure, but the market for managers is pretty terrible right now ... I would have been fine with Pochettino, but I'll easily take ten Hag over somebody like Tuchel or Southgate. Now, the scary part here is that Southgate might still be in play, if he steps down after the Euros and ten Hag craps the bed next season. Scary stuff. Still hope it's going to be McKenna at some point, but for now, I'll take ten Hag over some of those alternatives.

ETH was always the right move. Retreads and wannabe's are not the way to go. Ineos can bring in a few and get rid of a few and if it all goes south they have ETH as scapegoat. Just wait till Alonso is ready to move and go all out after him. Meanwhile ETH has next year to sink or swim and United wins either way.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 07:58 AM   #1948
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like Ruud van Nistelrooy is turning down the Burnley job to join Man United as an assistant coach.

pretty interesting. He had a decent season with PSV last year (runner-up and Cup winner), but stepped down at the end of the season amidst disagreements behind the scenes. I wonder if he gambles on getting a chance when EtH is sacked at some point? Either way, I think guys like Hojlund would benefit from Ruuds input, so I'm all for it.