Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2024, 09:56 AM   #5481
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I agree, there is a good chance he just waits. But I could also see him playing the cap going up game on a 2-year deal. I still think there will be some GM's even at 32 years old throwing a blank cheque at Leon.
The Oilers would. Other teams wouldn't and in turn Leon loses that leverage with Oilers. Too much risk. NHL contracts are so different from the rest of the big 4.
Old 06-18-2024, 09:57 AM   #5482
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I do think this cup run, as long as Florida wins, is bad for the Oilers long term no matter what. Most teams won't pay a 32-year-old $15 mil but Leon is putting up 120 points a year and his playoff PPG is near guys like Lemieux and Gretzky.

I personally think Leon is overrated, but I can see tons of GM's not agreeing with me.
They had a nasty contract negotiation last time, and it felt like he did the Oilers a favour by doing this current deal.

I think he is out to get his money this time around.

A $15 million dollar player entering his 30's would be beautiful. Even if its in San Jose.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 10:06 AM   #5483
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
They had a nasty contract negotiation last time, and it felt like he did the Oilers a favour by doing this current deal.

I think he is out to get his money this time around.

A $15 million dollar player entering his 30's would be beautiful. Even if its in San Jose.
This seems like revisionist history considering it was panned as an overpay at the time.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 10:06 AM   #5484
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
The Oilers would. Other teams wouldn't and in turn Leon loses that leverage with Oilers. Too much risk. NHL contracts are so different from the rest of the big 4.
I don't think there is much risk. Oilers will not trade McDavid and he has 2 years left. Playing 2 years with McDavid, Leon is a lock for 100+ and they have played 50 playoff games the last 3 years. He likely gets 2nd round or later playing in the Pacific and racks up tons more playoff points. His value won't drop even with some injuries, but a 2-year deal gives them 2 more cracks together in Edmonton.

Coming out of 8 straight years of 100-point season (1 shorten season pacing for way over 100) teams will be lining up to sign him 7 years. With the cap rising fast, likely the same cap hit he gets on the 2-year deal for 7 years.

I think Leon will wait this summer but if he signed, I would not be shocked at a 2-year deal rather than 8-year deal.
Macho0978 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good