Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2024, 11:47 AM   #1961
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
the new setup around Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox doesn't #### around, I've been quite impressed so far.

Added bonus is the fact that Everton fans on Twitter are pissed and/or confused that United would spend €50m Yoro instead of caving to their ridiculous €80m price tag for Jarrad Branthwaite.
Apparently they're paying him 112k a week though, so I can understand why he chose United. I don't know this for sure, but we only pay Dragusin and VDV about 50k a week in comparison!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 01:02 PM   #1962
Matty81
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still feels a long ways off classic Man U heyday transfers to me. Signing a relatively unproven young player for 50 million euros is a big gamble. He looked OK at Lille and is obviously very young but that's a #### ton of money for a guy who is not even a full international yet. For my money, though I'm pretty biased, I would have went in for Guehi for 60 million pounds instead which I think he could be had for. Everton wanted too much for Branthwaite but he's more of a throw back physical centre back and not a great ball playing defender anyways, Guehi is way better and only has 2 years left on his deal so Palace will play ball.

And then spending 40 million pounds on a 23 year old serie A striker with a below average scoring rate of 13 goals from 45 games... Personally these moves don't seem like they will exactly strike fear into the hearts of other clubs right now. These are the kinds of players who on profile other clubs would be spending 20 million on rather than paying established star money. But at least their wages will be cheaper than their past signings and I know they are still hamstrung by so many bad deals and overpaid players of the past

Last edited by Matty81; 07-18-2024 at 01:05 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 01:12 PM   #1963
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Are United in their heyday right now? I guess the last 11 years didn't actually happen...
Old 07-18-2024, 01:22 PM   #1964
Matty81
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely not but I still expected more impressive transfers out of them with their commercial might. They might not be performing on field but they still have a lot of flex financially. These seem like the kind of guys a club like West Ham or Fulham would be buying and at lower prices.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:25 PM   #1965
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I see your point but I can also understand the ownership being reluctant to spend mega money after so many failed deals: Mount, Onana, Antony to name only a few recent ones.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:39 PM   #1966
Matty81
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough spot for them for sure.. clubs charge such a huge premier league price premium right now and it's even worse for the bigger clubs

With the defender they are spending enough money to tack on 10-15 million and get an established young star from the team of the euros like Guehi tho. Maybe this guy becomes even better and a total stud but feels risky where you've never even seen him play in a top league or against good national teams yet. half the teams in ligue 1 are championship level imo

Last edited by Matty81; 07-18-2024 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:57 PM   #1967
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Still feels a long ways off classic Man U heyday transfers to me. Signing a relatively unproven young player for 50 million euros is a big gamble. He looked OK at Lille and is obviously very young but that's a #### ton of money for a guy who is not even a full international yet. For my money, though I'm pretty biased, I would have went in for Guehi for 60 million pounds instead which I think he could be had for. Everton wanted too much for Branthwaite but he's more of a throw back physical centre back and not a great ball playing defender anyways, Guehi is way better and only has 2 years left on his deal so Palace will play ball.

And then spending 40 million pounds on a 23 year old serie A striker with a below average scoring rate of 13 goals from 45 games... Personally these moves don't seem like they will exactly strike fear into the hearts of other clubs right now. These are the kinds of players who on profile other clubs would be spending 20 million on rather than paying established star money. But at least their wages will be cheaper than their past signings and I know they are still hamstrung by so many bad deals and overpaid players of the past
I think you can paint those transfers in an overly positive or negative light, depending on what you're setting out to do. I'm also a bit lukewarm on the Zirkzee transfer, but the Yoro deal is extremely exciting. Did they overpay for him? Sure. But that's one transfer where I don't give a #### if they overpaid or not, because he's arguably the best young CB prospect in world football. I'd rather overpay for these types of talents than the likes of Antony, Mount and so on. United now have three super exciting teenagers to build around, in different areas of the pitch (Yoro, Mainoo and Garnacho). It may not "strike fear into the hearts of other teams" right now, but that's beyond the point. It's about learning from past mistakes and building something.

And sure, you can dismiss Zirkzee based on his goal totals, but he's never been a pure number 9. He can play across the front, is technical and be more of a link-up player, so he offers something different than Hojlund (who's only 21 himself and improving). Young player of the year in Italy this past season as well, so there's that. It's a solid punt for 40m.

As for buying PL players, there's simply no value. If United go forward with the de Ligt signing from Bayern (might depend on player sales), they'll get 24 year old de Ligt for a similar price as West ham just paid for 27 year old Max Kilman. So if I were United, I'd look abroad for value too.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2024, 03:41 PM   #1968
Matty81
Franchise Player

Exp:

The smart operators in the premier league and championship transfer markets are all about timing. Buying a player with 4 years left on his deal and no release clause, I totally agree it's ridiculous pricing - clubs basically give you the middle finger and ask for a price they know they won't get to scare the other team off in most cases.

But when a player has 2 years left on his deal and won't re-sign you will get them for market value and then in the final summer you get some deals - that is what the smart/frugal clubs do, but they often can afford to be patient and can play a season with gaps in the squad with less fan vitriol in a way United can't. The upside as well is you have players who you know how they handle the style of play / the league. I feel like it's much bigger gamble bringing in guys from other leagues like Spain and France where the style of play is completely different - for me I'd rather a star in the championship then an above average Ligue 1 player with the same profile every time. But if it comes off because of the savings, can be fantastic business. Even established stars in Serie A and La Liga struggle in the prem sometimes though so it's just more risk exposure.

Yoro had a solid year at a young age in France... I also like that with a transfer like this the wages are reasonable as well, I think for United culling some of the big earners who are not performing and building a less expensive squad will make them much more flexible and probably allow them to compete for young superstars in the 22-25 age range in future.

Last edited by Matty81; 07-18-2024 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2024, 04:26 AM   #1969
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

meanwhile, at Everton ...

Quote:
The Friedkin Group’s proposed takeover of Everton is off, plunging the Premier League club back into crisis.

The Texas-based owner of Italian side AS Roma emerged as Everton’s potential saviour last month, only weeks after a previous takeover deal with another American investment group, 777 Partners, collapsed. The Friedkin Group (TFG) has been in exclusive talks with Everton for the last four weeks but withdrew from negotiations on Thursday, citing concerns about the club’s debt to 777, a private investment firm based in Miami.

That £200million ($258m) debt, which is comprised of a series of loans 777 made to Everton last season, is now controlled by American insurance firm A-Cap, the original source of that money. TFG’s concerns about the debt are related to the fact that 777 is now in the hands of insolvency experts after its complex web of portfolio companies started to unravel earlier this year, following months of lawsuits over unpaid bills, late payments and allegations of fraud.
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/564...-group-latest/
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 04:49 PM   #1970
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I think you can paint those transfers in an overly positive or negative light, depending on what you're setting out to do. I'm also a bit lukewarm on the Zirkzee transfer, but the Yoro deal is extremely exciting. Did they overpay for him? Sure. But that's one transfer where I don't give a #### if they overpaid or not, because he's arguably the best young CB prospect in world football. I'd rather overpay for these types of talents than the likes of Antony, Mount and so on. United now have three super exciting teenagers to build around, in different areas of the pitch (Yoro, Mainoo and Garnacho). It may not "strike fear into the hearts of other teams" right now, but that's beyond the point. It's about learning from past mistakes and building something.

And sure, you can dismiss Zirkzee based on his goal totals, but he's never been a pure number 9. He can play across the front, is technical and be more of a link-up player, so he offers something different than Hojlund (who's only 21 himself and improving). Young player of the year in Italy this past season as well, so there's that. It's a solid punt for 40m.

As for buying PL players, there's simply no value. If United go forward with the de Ligt signing from Bayern (might depend on player sales), they'll get 24 year old de Ligt for a similar price as West ham just paid for 27 year old Max Kilman. So if I were United, I'd look abroad for value too.
I am not Luke warm at all as who they have brought in fits the profile. These guys actually have a plan unlike the drunken idiots before them. Actually making moves early and pivoting from one player to another is amazing for us poor United fans. All we have had for a decade is stupidity bringing in washed up crap like Casemiro. Plus of course overpaying them so much we can’t get rid of them.

We actually have management. Is is a little surreal if you ask me that we might be competent instead of being run like a shirt selling outfit.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote