Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2024, 06:20 PM   #15881
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://calgary.citynews.ca/2024/06/...dge-northeast/

Damn I know this guy. He's a very nice gentlemen who has a carpet and upholstery cleaning company.

He did my couches last year and was an amazing man. I hope he's ok.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 11:27 PM   #15882
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Agreed!

'Grew up with a classic immigrant story'
'Where did you immigrate from?'
'Born in Canada '

That is just a hilarious back and forth, especially framed within the context of a conversation about Swiss frickin Chalet
I'm still so curious to hear from curves on this. It was such a bizarre exchange, lol.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 11:42 PM   #15883
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I believe this is part of the encryption and security. I understand the frustration, but it's probably better the way it is.
Also, they were probably saying bad things about you.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:45 PM   #15884
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What's up with convenience stores not putting prices on anything anymore? Felt that started to change like 5 years ago and nobody puts prices anymore...

I get convenience stores have higher prices but would be nice to know the price before getting to till.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 05:14 AM   #15885
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate that as well. If I don’t see the price displayed, I don’t make the purchase.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2024, 08:03 AM   #15886
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I hate that as well. If I don’t see the price displayed, I don’t make the purchase.
But if you need a few rolls of schit tickets you buy it. Convenience stores aren’t there for the discerning buyer.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2024, 08:18 AM   #15887
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
What's up with convenience stores not putting prices on anything anymore? Felt that started to change like 5 years ago and nobody puts prices anymore...

I get convenience stores have higher prices but would be nice to know the price before getting to till.
This is catching on....was just at MEC yesterday - they do this now and it drove me nuts. The price isn't printed on a little sign on the end of the hanger anymore so you're left to find the randomly placed sticker that may or may not be on item itself, which sure doesn't reflect any sale prices.

So you're left to look up the price on their website on your phone.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:55 AM   #15888
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
This is catching on....was just at MEC yesterday - they do this now and it drove me nuts. The price isn't printed on a little sign on the end of the hanger anymore so you're left to find the randomly placed sticker that may or may not be on item itself, which sure doesn't reflect any sale prices.

So you're left to look up the price on their website on your phone.
I havent been in store in a while. So annoying how a series of retail MBAs on the board ruined that place.

Every hanger sign used to list specs - including weight, which is one of the most useful things to know as an actual outdoorsperson. Maybe some signs still do, but that place just generally sucks now.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2024, 09:17 AM   #15889
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I havent been in store in a while. So annoying how a series of retail MBAs on the board ruined that place.

Every hanger sign used to list specs - including weight, which is one of the most useful things to know as an actual outdoorsperson. Maybe some signs still do, but that place just generally sucks now.
I don’t believe they have a board anymore. They sold a couple years ago and are no longer a cooperative.

That’s why it has rapidly gone downhill.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 09:42 AM   #15890
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t believe they have a board anymore. They sold a couple years ago and are no longer a cooperative.

They went bankrupt in 2020 and were bought out by a private equity firm.

The pricing thing is definitely frustrating at MEC. I went to the store in early spring to get some bike stuff and non of it had prices so it made shopping and comparing options really difficult. I also needed an inner tube and the tubes all seemed to be in random baskets. I found a basket that was labeled with the size I needed so I grabbed one and went to the cash register. Luckily I looked at the label before paying and noticed it was not the size I needed. I went back and checked that basket for the right size and it was just an assortment so finding the right tube took a while.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 10:09 AM   #15891
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

It was the boards (and their commitment to GAPification) that lead them to bankruptcy. What we see now is pretty much what the boards were driving towards, anyways.

Of course the gun nuts will tell you its because they stopped selling Camelback (since they were owned by a company that sells assault rifles)...but really we just got more Cabelas and BPS that they'd rather shop at instead anyways.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:15 AM   #15892
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I just looked it up...the MEC (GAP) logo happened way back in 2013! It felt like the store was already slipping before that and the logo really crystallized that the issues weren't just random individual occurrences (as it prompted everyone to share stories of frustration)
Old 06-23-2024, 12:15 PM   #15893
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasteful packaging is really getting out of control as I was out at the grocery store to get some fresh herbs. These have always been sold just tied up in bunches with the exception of some of the stuff that came in clamshells. But now I'm seeing stuff the was in bunches is sold in a clear plastic bag where the bottoms/stems are inserted in the bag and secured with either an elastic band or tied off. Why is this necessary?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 01:01 PM   #15894
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Wasteful packaging is really getting out of control as I was out at the grocery store to get some fresh herbs. These have always been sold just tied up in bunches with the exception of some of the stuff that came in clamshells. But now I'm seeing stuff the was in bunches is sold in a clear plastic bag where the bottoms/stems are inserted in the bag and secured with either an elastic band or tied off. Why is this necessary?
To keep the roots moist so they last longer?
Old 06-23-2024, 01:07 PM   #15895
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
To keep the roots moist so they last longer?
Thats what they all say.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 01:29 PM   #15896
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

i've posted this pic before - but this still makes me laugh. i had an order of about a dozen adidas jackets that i had to add a logo to for a customer.
the pile of packaging was ridiculous but don't worry - there is a "feel good about yourself" tab on the side of the jacket....

adidas by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 06-23-2024, 05:15 PM   #15897
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i've posted this pic before - but this still makes me laugh. i had an order of about a dozen adidas jackets that i had to add a logo to for a customer.
the pile of packaging was ridiculous but don't worry - there is a "feel good about yourself" tab on the side of the jacket....

adidas by bc-chris, on Flickr
I don’t know man, I would stop posting that pic if you’re going to summarize it that way because it kind of makes you look dumb.

That “feel good about yourself” tab actually signifies that the product was made with 100% recycled polyester, which adidas is moving all of their products to. That pile of packaging (you’ll see a 100% in there) is made of 100% recycled material. Transporation packaging in general is something Adidas has noted as unavoidable to completely move away from, so they donate millions of dollars (the equivalent of the environmental impact of their packaging) to organizations creating more sustainable solutions. They also make products from ocean waste.

I kind of hate the whole “Oh, you care about the environment? So you never use plastic EVER?” type of argument. It’s really ignorant.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 12:33 AM   #15898
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
But if you need a few rolls of schit tickets you buy it. Convenience stores aren’t there for the discerning buyer.
Buy a Slurpee, grab a few napkins. Or the Calgary Sun.