View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #638
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Small example , but you can buy goods with Bitcoin. And with companies like PayPal getting into the game and Coinbase issuing a mastercard backed prepaid card you can buy anything you want now .
That's actually interesting, and an ingenious way around the difficulty of using bitcoin directly to pay for goods. However, that card is available only in the EU, and I'd give it time first to see how successful it is as a business model before assuming it is going to work. If it does catch on, I'll rethink my stance on viability as a currency, although that still doesn't address bitcoin's deflationary nature and is more like a way of making crypto usable, not necessarily bitcoin in particular.

As far as paying for pizza in Venezuala... check out the map of crypto adoption in this article: https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-ado...zuela-research. That it becomes situationally viable when your country is a sharthole economically is not really an endorsement, I'm sure a lot of barter goes on there as well but that doesn't mean barter is superior to fiat currency as a concept to base an economy upon.