View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #41
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

So I had new doors and windows installed at my house over the weekend. This meant my old alarm needed a bunch of re-wiring work and since we added four opening windows that previously didn't open, I was going to need a bunch more sensors.

Had a quote from an alarm company for $50/month on a three-year term to redo the system, so $1800.

Another quote for $1200 for the hardware and installation, but unmonitored.

I decided to give a Ring Alarm Security System a try instead since I already have two of the doorbells and they are awesome.

I bought the 14-piece kit, which has two motion detectors, two control panels, range extender and covers eight windows/doors. Also bought eight more windows/door sensors, as well as the flood/freeze sensor. Total price for everything was $580, plus GST, so about half the price I was quoted to have the pros do it, and their quote didn't include covering my detached garage or a flood/freeze sensor, both of which I have with Ring.

Installation was easy. Took two hours. The app is super customizable and lets you change things instantly (as you'd expect).

I was already paying $6/month for my doorbells to have the cloud storage capabilities. With the alarm system, you pay $10/month to have it monitored, and it includes all the cameras, too, so it was kind of a no-brainer to just go to $10/month. There is also no contract. You don't need to have it monitored if you don't want.

With monitoring, you also get 3G back-up on the system and there is battery back-up as well. You can arm/disarm from your phone, which is handy if you have somebody going to your place you need to let in.

Overall, pretty neat. Only one day in so I can't comment much beyond that, but installation was easy, the interface is fantastic, the price is great, and everything seems of good quality.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: