View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #3292
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I really think you're fighting a fight that doesn't really exist outside of the margins of idiots who can be safely ignored. Most people don't object to this and actually welcome something different... provided it's executed well. It's exactly like people levying this kind of accusation at die-hard Star Wars fans because they rejected Rey, ignoring how completely bat#### crazy with excitement they become at the prospect of getting a live action Ahsoka Tano. If people don't fall in love a character you've written for them and you immediately assume that the problem must be that they're just bad people, you're likely not intellectually capable of creating the character you wanted to create.
Pretty much this for me. I find the "bah! gender! politics! ma videogames!" rhetoric to be ignorant enough to be ignorable, honestly. It's kind of pathetic. But by the same token, I find the "well if you didn't like this character or relationship, it was obviously because of this reason so you're BAD" to be about the same. It's just two very loud margins at opposite sides yelling at each other.

For me, Lev's storyline was a pointless moral commentary. I didn't like it. Not because I didn't like the commentary or that they tried to add that commentary, but because it seemed pointless and included for its own sake. It didn't seem genuine or to have any kind of weight that mattered to the game, and I hate that.

Same with Ellie and Dina's relationship. Of course I'm a big fan of normalizing LGBTQ relationships in media that in general has a serious lack of them. Love it! But theirs sucked. It felt so fake and unnatural. I didn't buy it for a second. Not only because of the relationship itself, but also in context of the overall story of the game and the world they're supposed to be in. Maybe they had trouble nailing a LGBTQ relationship, maybe they had trouble nailing a romantic relationship in the context of violence and revenge, maybe it fell apart when they tried to do both. I don't know. It sucked. It's just bad writing.

I can see why people took issue with the "wokeness" of the game, because a lot of it is just included for the sake of including it. I take some issue with people who say they don't want that commentary or those kind of characters in their game, but I take no issue with people who are annoyed that they did it so poorly.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote