View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #3288
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
That the mere presence of anything other than a white straight male savior is somehow "political". That the mere existence of "other" people (minorities, women, body types, genders, etc.) in somebody's fictional story or video game is something to complain and fight against.
This just isn't remotely true. There will always be a small, loud cadre of crazies who will say stupid and crazy things, but leaving them aside, no one had a problem with Aloy as the hero in Horizon Zero Dawn, or 2B in Nier Automata, or Ellie. No one has a problem with Miles Morales in Spider Man, or Delsin Rowe, or Alyx Vance, or Senua, because they're women or minorities or gay. I don't recall hearing any controversy about being able to play as FemShep in Mass Effect (Jennifer Hale was the objectively superior voice actor, fight me). I haven't played any of the newer Tomb Raider games, but I'm not aware of any controversy over a female-led series in that case either.

I really think you're fighting a fight that doesn't really exist outside of the margins of idiots who can be safely ignored. Most people don't object to this and actually welcome something different... provided it's executed well. It's exactly like people levying this kind of accusation at die-hard Star Wars fans because they rejected Rey, ignoring how completely bat#### crazy with excitement they become at the prospect of getting a live action Ahsoka Tano. If people don't fall in love a character you've written for them and you immediately assume that the problem must be that they're just bad people, you're likely not intellectually capable of creating the character you wanted to create.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote