View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #1048
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Down town Calgary was a lot more fun and a lot less lose in the 80's. I remember the theatres right below the Calgary Tower, and standing outside and shivering in the winter, what made it funny was that the street in front of the tower was the main hooker stroll in Calgary for a long time, so dad's would be holding their kids hands and eyeing these woman.

I still remember Electric Avenue at its height, it was the place to go. The best celebration for the Flames was long before the Red Mile, when 10's of thousands gathered there to watch Lanny Scoring in the 1989 Stanley Cup Finals, and the spontaneous party when the bars emptied and people flooded the avenue.

On the East side of Downtown there was the King Eddy, which back then was this fantastic rustic Blue's bar and they had tremendous live acts, and Sunday's were jam nights where people would show up with their instruments and just play.

At some point, Downtown Calgary though just became too corporate and pretty much shut down at 7:00 at night. They tried to bump it back up with places like the Palace, but it never worked.
I remember it quite differently.

Downtown in the 80s was dead after 5 pm, except for 11th Ave. Not so many people lived downtown as do now - there are way more entertainment options downtown now. Calgary was also very square back then - tiny arts scene, maybe one sushi restaurant, one gay bar.

Way more people were on the Red Mile in 2004 than Electric Avenue in 1989 - 10 X more. I was there for both.

The Kind Eddy is back at the NMC. There are numerous jam nights around Calgary now.

I would agree there were more strip clubs back then.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: