View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #17
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I spent 7 years volunteering in care homes. More often than not there wasn't adequate staffing to maintain a proper level of care. PCA's couldn't do a proper job due to the stress of high patient levels. The smell of urine and body odor are also concerns that I have. Worst offenders are the private for profit.

I was visiting a blind woman in her 80's and it wasn't hard to notice the above. When she passed away I said enough is enough, as I couldn't stomach the conditions in those places.

The above is a major reason my elderly mother is with me as opposed to a care facility.
But this didnt answer the question at all I asked : Who is going to pay for better care?

The fact you were volunteering shows how cash strapped these places are.

Either we have :

1. A shortage of supply for good quality care that people are willing to pay for - In which case there is a great opportunity for business
2. A shortage in demand for the good quality care due to their costs

It is almost certainly #2. This is why places cut costs at every corner.

It is similar to the airline business. Everyone complains about bad food, small, seats, etc but keep pressuring the airlines to lower costs.

Unless we go to a government subsidized model where everyone gets amazing care, it just wont happen.

And then the ultimate question as with everything "Who will pay for these government costs"

People like to preach about better education, better medical, better long term care facilities, but they vote with their wallet, which is for lower taxes usually.

You can't have it both ways!

(And yes I know I am ignore inefficiency arguments, better care per $ spent, etc ,etc)
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post: