View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #8
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It isn't quite the 'access to euthanasia' that you're talking about, but he got to go with dignity, fully coherent and sharp as a tack. I would want that for myself and for my loved ones too, because I've seen people with dementia or terminal cancers, and it is absolutely heart wrenching to watch them suffer. Not everyone would take the option if presented, and there's nothing wrong with that. But having the option to go on your own terms seems like the compassionate thing for us as a society to allow.
I'm with you on this. My grandpa passed recently, and I know that if he'd been able to, he'd have chosen this option for himself. He 'checked out' about 3 years ago, when his health really started nose-diving. He was alive, but he hated it. He could barely get out of bed on his good days.

A friend's mother (in her late 80's) recently made the decision to self end, and she was happier than she'd been in several years, according to my friend, after finally being able to make the decision. Her health was failing, and she had a terminal condition, which is the only reason she was 'allowed' to self end "early".

We really need to look at this option more and advocate for it. Both myself and my friend are now much more involved in being allowed to choose to die with dignity, on our own terms. It's long, long past due that we, as a society, arrange and accept this.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 05-23-2020 at 07:48 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote