View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Presently, one of my parents has advanced dementia and mobility issues and requires 24-hour assistance. We were on the list for a care home, but have been getting in-home care in the meantime. Government programs pay for the bulk of this, but it is still very expensive. We also backfill by going over there and helping one day a week. It is very hard, as it involves lifting and intimate personal care plus the emotional challenges of dealing with the confusion and bouts of anger triggered by the dementia. My father in law is also now diagnosed with early onset dementia, but is still highly functioning. I honestly get sick to my stomach when I try to consider what will happen when he gets to a more advanced stage and also requires full time care.

The programs Alberta has presently are actually very good compared to what is available in BC, for example. Given the aging population and the bankrupting of federal and provincial finances that is going on presently, I don't see how there is any hope for maintaining what we have now, let alone doing better in the future. If you want better, it will likely fall on you to provide that care, and you should probably start planning for that now.

Last edited by Nancy; 05-23-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post: