View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 08:19 AM   #1112
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Has anyone done a Boston butt on the rotisserie? I'm thinking about doing it on the long weekend and I'm wondering about cook time. I'm thinking maybe 30-40 mins/pound at around 300 degrees?
I wouldn't rotisserie a butt. That cut of meat is full of connective tissue and needs to be cooked to a point where the collagen converts to gelatin to allow the meat to be tender and easy to chew. When this happens the whole thing literally falls apart and will be difficult to rotisserie.

The better option is to cook the butt for a couple few hours over indirect heat, and then foil it and let it cook for a couple more hours. As to when to foil it, some people go by internal temperature (usually 160-165 ish), but it essentially is the moment the meat stops steaming out significant water and, ideally, is the exact moment the rub spices are dry and cannot be rubbed off the meat with a soft finger swipe. Every roast is a bit different in this regard, so this may occur below 160 or above 170.

The meat is done when it is "probe tender". This is when you can push a skewer into the meat and feel very little resistance. It should feel like sticking a skewer into a jar of peanut butter or a cake.

If you want to rotisserie something, I would suggest cooking a pork loin or rib roast instead.

Last edited by trew; 08-22-2019 at 08:21 AM.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trew For This Useful Post: