View Single Post
Old 02-15-2024, 01:36 AM   #52
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Zadorov wanted to be extended, as did Toffoli. Toffoli though knew Sutter was gone. His buddy Lucic was gone, so Toffoli got out ASAP,

Zadorov was waiting it out a bit as he liked it here, but then when Edwards pulled all extension talk at the Winter Classic, he was left in no man's land.

I do think the comments from Coleman were mainly directed at Lindholm. He moped around at the end of last year, lamenting his poor year because he didn't have the linemates he had the year before.

Backlund moped too and gave non committal answers, and he only returned late in the summer because they relented and gave him the C for a couple years, a move that Sutter didn't want to do...which lead to ....the room divided last year to be sure. Sutter vs Anti Sutter, with many in the middle. Didn't sound like many of the Swedes liked him.

Coleman and Tanev IMO are the defacto leaders of the current team, if I had to guess.

I agree with most of this, but I do think that Backlund is still the defacto leader. I have heard a lot of players speak about Backlund, and it is always glowingly. He did hesitate to re-sign, and he did talk about this in the media. However, he was always clear with his messaging: "I am getting older and I just want a chance to win the cup. I prefer doing that here, but it may come down to doing it somewhere else." That's ok with me. He didn't pout like Lindholm. I never once saw Lindholm address the media in a way that made me think that he wants to remain a Flame. He seemed like he legitimately wanted out. Backlund signed what a lot of people thought was a very low-risk, team friendly deal to stay here.

Also, Backlund didn't re-sign just because of being given the captaincy - he also re-signed because things seemed more 'fun', plus he spoke with former players, and with Conroy, and having a legacy on the Flames is a 'guarantee', and if you chase a cup, there are no guarantees. That legacy aspect was very important to him. He can chase the puck in his last season if he wants. Maybe by then, the Flames will be making some noise themselves.

I would think Backlund remains captain. At the start of the season, it was Huberdeau, Tanev, Lindholm and Andersson as the 'A's. Coleman should get Lindholm's, and Weegar gets Tanev's? That sounds about right to me.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: