View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #46
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It sounds like you have an emotional soft spot for Z cars, which is cool, but it's not like they've always been great. There were the lame automatic ones that drove like bloated pigs in the line up over the years. My dad had a 300zx automatic with T-roof. It was a mid-90s thing. That was a bland, slow, boring-ass car, although how do you not love a T-top, so that was cool. I drove that quite a bit, but never enjoyed it. It certainly wasn't an enthusiast's car and was more along the lines of a base model V6 Mustang.
Which 300zx? The Z31 or Z32? Was it a 2 seater or a 2+2? What model was it?

A lot of people thought the Z31 was too much of a cruiser, because they put some softer more luxury-oriented trim it in and made it bigger compared to the S30, but there are some gems there too. The 50th AE is a great classic now. The Shiro Z concept is effectively what I'm suggesting that Nissan should have tried with the 370z once it started showing its age.

As for the Z32, I'm less of a fan of that than many enthusiasts are, but the general consensus among car people is that it's among the most beautiful cars of the 1990s and has a lot of simple modification options. It's a bit more refined and classy than some of the other imports of the era.

Regardless, the transmission was probably 90% of the problem. Just about anything with a 1980s / 1990s automatic isn't going to be much fun to drive.
Quote:
You're describing a Mustang vs Z car as though they're wildly different. Two-door, RWD sports cars that duke it out in overlapping price ranges are competitors. Somebody with an open mind and love for cars would easily cross shop those vehicles.
They are wildly different. If your only qualifications is a sports car in X price range, you aren't really into cars. Anyone who is would not be cross-shopping cars that have entirely disparate driving experiences, unless they're also torn about the sort of driving experience that they want. I should know, I've been in that boat myself.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: