View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #45
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Not if you actually drive the cars. They're very different experiences. Miles apart in feel; the Mustang feels higher, longer and heavier and far more grunty, because it is. FFS, the 370z barely has a trunk, much less the Mustang's semi-usable back seats. Anyone thinking "should I get a Mustang or a 370z" probably doesn't know a whole lot about cars, or at least is torn between categories. If the 370z is competing with anything it's with the BRZ twins, and even then, it's a heavier, more powerful and more GTesque car than those. It tried to some extent compete with the Cayman and did an okay job as a cheaper alternative, when it came out.

But mostly, every Z car is just competing with its own history. It's a cult vehicle line, not unlike the Miata or even the WRX STI (though that's a bit different given its age-old rivalry with the EVO).

Frankly, "the Mustang" isn't a direct competitor to anything - its range is huge from the bland mass-market junk at the bottom to the incredible vehicle that is the GT350R (trim quality notwithstanding, from what I'm told).
It sounds like you have an emotional soft spot for Z cars, which is cool, but it's not like they've always been great. There were the lame automatic ones that drove like bloated pigs in the line up over the years. My dad had a 300zx automatic with T-roof. It was a mid-90s thing. That was a bland, slow, boring-ass car, although how do you not love a T-top, so that was cool. I drove that quite a bit, but never enjoyed it. It certainly wasn't an enthusiast's car and was more along the lines of a base model V6 Mustang.

You're describing a Mustang vs Z car as though they're wildly different. Two-door, RWD sports cars that duke it out in overlapping price ranges are competitors. Somebody with an open mind and love for cars would easily cross shop those vehicles.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote