View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #524
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Weirdo.
Sorry Star Citizen fanboys, but this game isn't going to be perfect in every way for everyone.

Orchestrated soundtracks have their place but orchestrated soundtracks have permeated too far into our entertainment culture and have squeezed out most of the alternatives in movies, television, and gaming. Too few artists and studios are willing to be different or take risks. People who accept orchestrated music in almost every facet of their entertainment need to start listening to other kinds of music. Not every kind of story and setting can be properly accentuated and punctuated by a style that evolved from 19th century opera. This kind of musical drudgery is the downfall of almost all entertainment media produced for mass consumption today.

There was a time when this wasn't always the case. In the past, you had a period where a movies like Chariots of Fire was scored by Vangelis on an array of Yamaha CS80s and experimental analog instruments. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrenece - a WWII prisoner of war drama featured a Japanese composed synth soundtrack and work by David Bowie. Music and composition has taken a tremendous downturn in creativity, vibrance, expression, and daring for the purposes of mass consumption. Not everything should sound like John Williams, James Horner, or modern day (he did good work in the 80s and 90s) Hans Zimmer blasé. I was completely shocked and pleasantly astounded this year when I watched Tom Cruise's Oblivion and discovered the soundtrack was composed by M83. Another highlight was Heath Ledger's "A Knight's Tale" where they took the route of scoring a medieval film with a Classic Rock soundtrack. That was awesome and different. The director correctly pointed out that 19th century orchestrated music would have been just as anachronistic in a medieval setting as Queen and Thin Lizzy.

Alexei Zakharov has so far done a decent job on the entire X series, to the point where I don't mind spending hours floating around in space, perfectly contented to simply drift as the music unfolds ambiently. Chris Roberts has mentioned the possibility of some ambient synth but I would appreciate some more variety in the dramatic score as well.

My favorite tracks in Wing Commander II and Privateer are piano and jazz pieces that I've tried to learn. There has been room in the series before for different kinds of music so there is some hope for Star Citizen for me. The oringinal composers for Wing Commander I came out and put out a surf styled version of the WC theme onto OC Remix a few years ago that was different in a good way. That'd make a great easter egg (playing in a lounge somewhere) in SC.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01296/

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-04-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: