View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #1214
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I wanted to comment on this because I too was in Winnipeg, and was a STH, when the Jets left town.

WinnipegFan is right. It is devastating. After the anger and the blaming subsides, what is left is a huge void. It doesn't matter to everyone of course, but having an NHL hockey team matters to a lot of Canadians - probably most. It certainly matters to me.

And what it meant for me and my family was that it was the catalyst that prompted our move to Calgary. I am not suggesting it was the only reason, but it definitely helped make the decision final. It meant the end of the line for Winnipeg, as far as me and my family were concerned.

A pro sports team adds to the community aspect of a city. In an increasingly anonymous society, where we don't even know all our neighbours anymore, sports teams bring us together. They give the city identity. The simple fact of the matter is that we are all here communicating with each other because the Flames exist.

My wife recruits globally for a national firm. Anyone who thinks city reputations don't matter, has clearly never recruited from outside Canada. The vast majority of people considering moving to Canada (we're talking people with choices, not refugees) suggest that they want to go to one of three places: Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary (and Montreal if they can speak French).

I bring this up to tie it back to Winnipeg. If the Flames left, it wouldn't turn that upside down all on its own. But I have no doubt that it would be a major catalyst that would in fact move Calgary in the wrong direction with respect to that impression. It would without a doubt change Calgary's status, relative to other cities. And not in a good way.

For anyone that talks about the Flames leaving town with a flippant, good riddance attitude, I would suggest that you be careful what you wish for.

Having said all that, I think there is little to no chance that the team will leave. We shouldn't bend over backwards or be held hostage to a terrible deal. But nor should we we be arrogant and flippant with respect to what the team means for the city.
Enoch, you obviously have a huge emotional connection to the Flames for reasons I am not expecting you to divulge. It being a catalyst in your decision to move your family to Calgary, it's clear that you have a larger emotional connection, and gain a greater identity from them than most of us on this site. That's not meant to be derogatory or accusatory, I'm just trying to come from your position on this as you have been one of the staunchest advocates for the proposal. Again, I mean no ill intent from that statement.

However, not everyone derives the same emotional benefit from the Flames as you (or the Jets for WpgFan). Many of us are pretty big Flames fans. We wouldn't be on this site if we weren't. CP is probably one of the largest collection of Flames fans on the internet - and yet almost 60% rejected the CalgaryNext proposal, and a sizeable minority are against significant contribution form the city.

In the end, many of Calgarians treat the Flames as just another entertainment option in a city filled with them (granted, it could be argued that Calgary has fewer in comparison to other major cities) and we are less willing to see the city spend its limited resources on one of those options where that money can be better used.

You can continue to make your arguments in favour of the arena and that the city should pay a significant amount; but, you cannot assume that we all have the same emotional connection to the team as you appear to have.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post: