View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #57
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
What's the point of drafting so high? Timeline shouldn't factor in. Only ceiling, floor, likelyhood to hit ceiling, and likelyhood to find similar talent later in the draft.

If a project player has a legitimate chance to be impactful as the next Joe Thornton, Pavel Datsyuk or Peter Forsberg, has the floor of an NHL player, you should take that player every time, regardless of where your draft position is or how long it may take to develop into the projected player. Burke, who I often criticize, knows this... he's a guy who has drafted guys like Kadri, the Sedin twins, Pronger, Bobby Ryan, even Morgan Rielly very high in the draft... where were these guys during their draft+4 or 21 year old seasons VS their prime?

Most top 5 drafted forwards also get plopped into scoring roles on shallow teams with a probable hole at every position. Bennett's situation wasn't so convenient. Bennett would not be the #1 center on the New Jersey Devils with Taylor Hall on his LW? Unless you think Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, or Backlund don't deserve to be top 6 forwards at LW or C respectively, you're basically stuck with Bennett in an unideal situation to break out - which is still okay.
I really don't get this sentiment. I think Bennett is in a perfect position for his age and pedigree. He is not under pressure to perform as a team offensive driver. The top opponents players will be getting deployed against Monahan. He's not stuck riding a shut down line because we have a top-tier defensive centre. So he gets soft minutes, offensive zone starts and hopefully this year, decent linemates. Versteeg is a very talented player with strong veteran presence and their are many (good) possibilities on the other side. Brouwer bounce back? Foo? Jankowski? Possibly Tkachuk as Backlund and Frolik are assigned yet another youngster to show how to play hockey? Potential surprises ffrom Klimchuk/Poirier/Shinkariuk/ and on down the list.

Not to mention he's not a young guy surrounded by a bunch of married men with kids. Most of the budding core of this team are his age group.

I think the path is as clear as it can be for a Sam Bennett break out and it's really all in his hands to make it happen.