View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #52
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
It's an important year for sure. But I have to disagree with your view that top picks are expected to have early impacts. The point is to get the best NHLer and how long they take to do that isn't the motivating factor. You don't take the kids you think will peak earliest, you take the kid you think will be the best NHLer when fully developed. Bennett isn't a project pick and that type of thinking betrays some impatience IMO. One thing you haven't noted that is important is that Bennett basically lost almost an entire year due to injury/surgery. So in reality he's basically a year behind his peers who did not lose a year. Also notable is that the Flames drafted Bennett partway through the rebuild. Had he been drafted earlier in the rebuild he likely would've been handed a bigger role sooner, with more ice time and better line mates. IMO if you switch the years we drafted Bennett and Monahan and if Bennett doesn't lose a season due to injury Bennett might already be our top centre.
Injuries, role etc etc are all fair points, but never the less, at the end of next season, Bennett will be near that ~250-300 games played range at which point you pretty much know what type of player you have on your hands.
Take a look at the 2012 and 2013 draft where most of those players are in that games played range right now. They have essentially established the type of player they're going to be for the rest of their careers.

I realize I may come off as a little harsh on him but I sincerely want him to do well and put everything together.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote