View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #41
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
As with CalgaryNEXT, timing simply horrible. Probably little to no appetite for big expenditures, especially to host the horrifying, abhorrent IOC. With a crap economy and taxes on the rise and the no good NDP running this province for 3 more years, people simply won't want this.
Most people know that the current government and economic doldrums will be long gone by the time the Olympics would occur. I think most long time residents of Calgary would be supportive given the success and positive legacy of the 88' games. It's just the transplants for the no-fun provinces that need to be won over.

I wasn't around to enjoy the 1988 Olympics but I had the good fortune to experience Vancouver 2010. Not only was it a fantastic experience to attend, the games were transformative for that city as well.

If this bid allows us to use federal funding upgrade our existing facilities while getting a new arena and stadium it's a win for the city. Not to mention potential infrastructure perquisites like an LRT airport link, passenger rail to Banff/Lake Louise, and maybe even high speed rail to Edmonton.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post: