View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #379
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I hate the myth that Star Trek was low budget. Part of the reason NBC cancelled Star Trek was because it was so fricking expensive. They had Star Trek and Mission: Impossible as to high budget (for the late 60s) TV shows, and felt they had to chose one of the other. The impression that Star Trek was low budget is revisionist history because though a modern lens, we see 'cheap' foam rocks etc. Sure they had to budget savvy back then, but that's because Desilu was spending so much on the show.

I was also surprised when I saw the TV-MA rating on the DSC promos. The showrunners had previously stated that the show would be more PG-13ish. Something must have spooked the studio into the rating (TV ratings work a little different from film). So I don't think DSC will be 'tits and dragons' TV-MA like Game of Thrones.

Cynically I wonder how much having an openly gay couple on the Discovery scares a network like CBS. I am sure there mere existence of those characters is enough to get the show boycotted in Trumpland.

From what I've read, I think your point about compromise is a good one, and one that I expect DSC to demonstrate despite what we've seen in the Trailers. The Klingons are alleged going to be extremely nuanced and not a Trek movie villain style big bad.

You also cherry picked one of the best TOS stories that was a little more cerebral than most. TOS wasn't TNG, or even the first 6 movies. TOS was a space adventure show grounded in Post War Triumphalism. Starfleet, or Star Fleet or the United Earth Space Probe Agency or whoever the writers decided the Enterprise worked for that day was Marshall Plan era US foreign relations.

The Federation didn't take on the pluralistic of TNG until Roddenberry had believed his own hype for 15 years and basically became a lesser L Ron Hubbard.
I will confess, City on the Edge of Forever is one of the only TOS episodes I can remember. I don't particularly care for them. I will withdraw my low budget comment, but I guess my point is it doesn't need to be fantastically expensive in this day

But I do love the movies. I don't think Star Trek in general has an idea of what it wants to be until the Motion Picture. But they don't get it quite right. So the next movie, rather than being too 2001, is about getting old and never having faced a no win scenario.

Trek III is about faith in the age of technology. Voyage Home is an environmental warning. Final Frontier is about God. Undiscovered Country is a Cold War parable. They're all about things beyond punching people and spouting catchphrases.

I'll watch Discovery. It's entirely possible the people promoting this are simply awful, and it'll be a good show.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote