View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #44
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally saw this one tonight with my wife who had never seen the first one and doesn't necessarily like science fiction. She LOVED this movie. Said it was one of the best movies she's seen in a long time. She normally has good taste IMO.

I can't help but compare it to the original:

The plot was so much better. I don't remember much of the original now, but it seemed pretty straightforward-go out and catch those replicants. It wasn't as complex as this plot, which had so much to do with the character work. The characters were much more fleshed out, and less robotic, even though they would have good reason to seem robotic due to their nature. They had fully developed lives and clear motives. Hard to say that about characters in the first one. At any rate, the plot seemed entirely understandable from everyone's position. Nothing seemed forced or poorly thought out.

Villeneuve is a modern art master. Each shot was breathtakingly crafted, even ones that are supposed to depict dirty parts of this world. I would watch it again with the sound off just to absorb the visuals without distraction.

The soundtrack is overwhelming at times. Amazing, but almost too much to take in at the same time as the visuals. It might be easier to handle at home.

I honestly feel like K/Joe's character is one of those iconic characters that people will be studying for years. The transformations that he goes through, the emotional arc, all of it was depicted effortlessly by Gosling. I especially loved the love story between him and Joi, and the heartbreak that ensued after.

The dystopian nature of the world felt more palatable than the first one. Everyone seems to be getting by in this world, but I never got the sense that anyone was enjoying their life. It seemed like pure survival mode for everyone.

Ok, I feel like I'm gushing now, but it was so much better than what I expected.

Oh, and I honestly don't get the complaints I've been reading above. Everything seemed very well thought out and had a clear purpose. This seems like needlessly nitpicking a great film because it's a sequel to a cult classic.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: