View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

The OP question is somewhat incorrectly worded. Each NHL team has a Stanley Cup potential – some low, some high. The more accurate question would be: Does this roster have a high probability of winning the SC? To that, I would say no, it doesn't.

Even though we will have one of the better overall defense in the league, that's the only piece of the puzzle that has been well-assembled so far. We would need Smith to play his best hockey ever. I like Smith better than Elliott, but there has been no evidence of him being able to play at the SC level yet. We do not have a solid backup goalie, unfortunately (although a trade at the deadline is possible). We are still missing the top-line quality RW player without any reasonable acquisition possibilities of such player on the horizon.

With all of the above shortcomings, while our probability of getting into playoffs is higher than, say, 10 other teams in the NHL, I think, our chances of winning the Stanley Cup next season are not nearly that high.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post: