Thread: Path of Exile
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #18
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I couldn't handle the lag when I tried it last year. Still an issue?

Also felt that the tree was needlessly complicated and actually didn't encourage as much diversity as intended.
I have noticed occasional lag but nothing too extreme. It doesn't persist, either - a couple enemies might "teleport" as their real positions get updated, and then maybe glitch again, but then things smooth out right after. That might happen once every hour, if that - not sure what it was like before to compare that too.

The skill is pretty freakin' huge, but after looking at it a bit, I think the idea is that you gain small increments of power each level, and work towards a limited number of major abilities that do mandate diversity. I started a Witch and I think the increased mana regen and mana pool path I've gone down plays out considerably differently than the Shadow I was playing, who had to divvy up points between Dexterity and Intelligence skills just to equip the items he found, and with whom I am working my way towards vastly increased physical damage and trapping skill.

Also, the active skills conferred by gems are a great idea - I was able to switch to raining down fireballs instead of bolts of electricity just by switching gems. I could try out archer skills just by equipping a bow and filling it with the right gems. Obviously, later on the synergy between your passives and the skills you gain via gem are going to make it harder to just switch around on a whim, but it's still considerably more flexible than a classic skill system unlocking better versions of skills as you level up.

Last edited by jammies; 01-23-2014 at 08:19 AM.
jammies is offline   Reply With Quote