View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 02:19 AM   #246
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Add in hold spending at the rate of pop growth and inflation and wage freeze until public sector wages are at the next highest province and you got yourself a balanced budget. I suspect the Carbon tax stays in some form as leverage for pipelines and just the spending on green stupidity is cut.
Here's what Kenney is hinting at and what we might see.

Quote:
"One thing I've said is we would be comfortable, probably, going back to what we had as a levy — a tax — on major emitters, where the companies that produce the emissions actually paid into a research fund," Kenney said.

This type of regulatory system was introduced in Alberta in 2007 by the Progressive Conservative government of Ed Stelmach and modified in 2018 by the current NDP government.

The regulations only apply to large emitters and are separate from the broader-based carbon tax that the NDP introduced in 2017, which applies to the consumer-level sale of gasoline, diesel, propane and natural gas.
Quote:
"That fund, paid for by major emitters, I think is a good way of doing it," Kenney said of his ideal climate-change policy for Alberta.

"I think the solution is through research and development, science and technology, that will find thousands of small innovations that reduce the carbon intensity of our economy."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ters-1.4652145