View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #485
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
It's interesting how many people want to move Janko to the wing, whereas the difficult parts of centring seem to be what he is most naturally talented at. Defensive responsibility and faceoffs/zone control.
Jankowski definitely looks like a natural centre to me. He's a heads up playmaking centre. Has the size and ability to be good on draws. If he's ready where do you put him? I think having him on the 4th line might be as unappealing as having him on the wing. I mean lets look closely at the options assuming that Jankowski makes the team and everybody is healthy

-Move Jankowski to the wing. This isn't ideal for the reasons you've mentioned
-Have Jankowski on the 4th line which pushes Stajan to the wing or out of the lineup. This is a bit awkward as well. Having Jankowski there might stunt his offensive confidence and might not be enough ice time to really develop into his full potential.
-Move Bennett to the wing. Not ideal for Bennett's centre development. But frankly Bennett looks like more of a winger than Jankowski does.

There really is no ideal solution. This makes the Jankowski question the most interesting part of training camp. And plays into why everybody keeps asking Treliving and Gulutzan if Bennett has to be a centre.

Quote:
Valimaki is not going to make the team out of camp. Neither is Foo. They need to learn the pro game.
Valimaki I doubt is ready even though I think the world of his potential. Not the year to be experimenting with a relatively inexperienced 18 year old defenseman. He'll have to be heads and shoulders above the rest of the guys to get a look and I don't think he will be.

Foo looks like a lot more NHL ready. And he's actually older than the majority of our prospects competing for a job. From what I've seen of him this prospect tournament he looks close to NHL ready. He'll be in tough cause there's lot of competition but I like his chance at winning a spot better than anyone up front besides Janko and Hathaway. He's quick, protects the puck well, zips around the zone heads up looking to shoot or pass. Personally I think he's closer than Poirier who you have as a possibility.

Quote:
I think that management really wants Tkachuk Bennett to work.
I think those two could form a pretty lethal combo giving us three elite pairs up front (Gaudreau/Monahan, Tkachuk/Bennett, Backlund/Frolik)

Quote:
I seem to remember that Lazar can play both sides? Either way, I think that Ferland and Lazar are tried in both of these spots (I currently have them in) searching for chemistry on the top line.
Lazar is a C/RW from what I know. But Frolik is a LW/RW who shoots left so switching him to LW and having Lazar on RW is fine.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote