View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #113
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
In general, I find it hard to complain about the Flames media coverage. I’m not even that old, but I remember how paltry it used to be, particularly on the television side. Local blackouts. Paying $10 a game for Flames PPV. Seeing 2x the amount the Oilers games as Flames games on Sportsnet West. Getting 5-6 TSN games. 5-6 HNIC games.

Nowadays, I get all 82 games on Sportsnet. 60 or so regionally. 20 or so nationally. One of the better broadcast tandems in the NHL. 2 daily sports radio talk shows, one more lighthearted, one more typical sports nerd talk. 3 solid The Athetlic writers and 2-3 local newspaper writers.

The Flames are a historically mediocre midmarket team. Our coverage is pretty damn good considering this.
The Flames coverage specifically is terrific. The Fan does their job about as well as you could ask. On the TV side, Ball and Hrudey/Campbell is a national quality team.

The visual quality of the broadcast has been a problem for a decade. On TSN, the colors pop. On Sportsnet, most games look like they're being played with half the lights off. I don't know why, I don't know if it's just a knob someone at Roger's needs to twist, but this is the age of 4K. Please, somebody, sort this out.

It is a true travesty that we don't get to hear Cuthbert and Gord Miller call Flames hockey anymore.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote