View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
I'm going to look at a 2014 Frontier 4x4 that is listed for $26 995. I'll be paying cash with a trade-in and was hoping to meet a budget of $25K all in. Am I dreaming? They say to just go make a reasonable offer but I have no clue what that is. I've only bought privately in the past so I'm not experienced with dealers.

I'm kind of considering F150s as well and there are a few that I like in the $30K range. Do you generally get more haggle room on higher priced vehicles? I may consider increasing my budget if it's a much better value.

I hate car shopping.
After just dealing on a vehicle for myself and for my dad, it never hurts to low ball. Worst they can say is no. Best thing I did on my dad's was to check out the same model over the whole province on Autotrader. Found one 2 hours away that was $4000 cheaper and half the km's. Once the local dealership seen the ad (and it was from a dealership), they were more than willing to beat the other price. Before that, they just kept saying the most they could move was $750. Like someone else mentioned, stick to your number and let them think about it. If your not in a panic to get the vehicle, the ball is in your court.

Also, I'm not sure that it matters how expensive the vehicle is in terms of being able to negotiate. Traded my truck in and they are listing it for $7000 less than they gave me for a trade in value. Buddy was interested in buying it, so went and talked to the dealership. They were hard on their asking price and refused to budge at all, so he bought elsewhere. I guess it also depends on what they paid for that vehicle.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote