View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #60
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The NHL product seems to focus on the refs and some of the calls tonight were ridiculous. I can't remember a preseason game where there was no fights, and I've probably been to a preseason game just about every year since the mid 90's. The NHL product taking fighting and even hitting seems removed from the game just sucks any energy out of the sport. It really just isn't that interesting without that raw intensity or emotion which comes from the physical play. There was a moment where Draisaitl was being a ###### bag to Giordano and they both got called on the play. They went to the box and were chirping each other. I thought something might come of that... a hit... a fight... a something but no looks like they peacefully and diplomatically resolved their issue through discussion in the penalty box. Talk about boring.

Couldnt agree more. Tuned in to watch some of the youngsters. Used to be pre-season was the impetus to get younger guys (and vets who werent secure) to step it up and do something. Get noticed, whatever that may be. Hit someone, fight someone, get in the face of someone etc.. Last night, and way to often in regular season as well, there is just...nothing. High skill guys have always been there and done what they do. Its the other guys that have completely morphed into playing safe/generic hockey without a lot of emotion.

Without physicality, hockey is a bore fest. Last night was all of that. Unwatchable IMO, and why i spent 30 minutes at most watching it. The NHL product has declined so much over the last 8 years or so, I wonder where it all ends. I still love the game and suspect I always will, but it just is no where as good as it once was.

What I did see last night in my brief viewing was that Jankowski looks like he can play at the NHL level right now. Good vision, thinks the game at a decent level. Needs to work on puck handling in tight space.

Dube really stood out to me as well. Like the package he brings, closer than i thought he would be at this point.

Also Monahan...looks bigger to me for some reason? That's a good thing.