View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #141
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
I feel like I've seen this same story the last few years:

Flames play entertaining run-n-gun hockey, but get lit up by stronger opposition. The coach then has to rein in the players and force them to stick to a boring defensive system that seems to choke the fun out of the game.

I really hope Peters can find that magical blend of winning hockey games by playing a strong defensive system that's still entertaining.

Is that too much to ask?
I don't think so.

When I coach I love the pinch, but it only works if the F3 realizes it's coming and moved back towards the blueline to cover. If you have a F3 leaning in wanting to be part of a goal mouth scramble with the assumption of a defender winning a pinch you risk the odd man rush the other way.

They win some of these gambles and with that they get more zone time and pressure ... this is why they tend to out shoot and out corsi teams.

But the real high danger stuff is to 50/50 right now and likely not even that when you get down the split inside that definition of high danger because a two on one is more dangerous than a generic home plate shot off a pass.

I doubt they're coaching their forwards to overload while the D is pinching so it's a read and reaction failure between forwards and individually that's killing them.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: