View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #3266
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillspeak View Post
If Tre does go I think there also needs to maybe a change in the scouting staff. Todd Button has been with the team as Director of Scouting for 20 years.

The GM and AGM's are presented the talent by the scouting staff and make their decisions based on the scouting staffs reviews.

In the past we have not been that great at drafting great talent. We have had the odd diamond in the rough (i.e Johnny,4th round) but overall our development system has not been overwhelming.
Change in the development system?
Maybe. The Flames haven't developed a goalie in forever.
They've only full developed two defensemen since 2008 (Brodie and Andersson, maybe Valimaki soon).
The AHL team has only made the playoffs once in the past decade or so. Many promising players are never given a chance. Young players are rarely inserted into the lineup to develop. Rather, cap is wasted on no-potential vets.

But I think the scouting has been pretty good.
Some picks like the Jake Boltmann pick were outright stupid. But they're pretty good at drafting players with decent ceilings in the later rounds. The Flames have always been good at drafting small and skilled players.
They also haven't had a ton of good picks lately.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post: