View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #206
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, CS, for a beginner looking to 'dayhike' most recommendations so far are overkill for you.

You don't need hiking boots unless you are humping a big pack (and even then its debatable). Get a pair of water-proof Keen or Merrell 'light hikers' (or equivalent) easily had for $100 or less if you keep an eye on sales. When I hiked the inca-trail in Peru, our group's porters wore sandals (flat-top chuck taylor's if they were luckier) and they humped heavy packs on rough trails at high altitude.

Don't worry about a gore-tex or even a shell for day-hiking. If it's miserable out, stay home or hike somewhere with a better forecast. You can grab a poncho or vinyl raincoat at walmart for $20 if you are concerned about a surprise storm on the trail - but really, for a 1st year beginning hiker, you aren't going to die from getting wet (if you are otherwise dressed properly. NO COTTON), you'll just be cold and miserable when you get back to your car.

Backpack... use one from your school-days or get one from walmart/target/sears for $30. What are you gonna carry? a waterbottle, first-aid kit, lunch and maybe a rain-poncho.

If you want to spend some money (which is my weakness frankly) I'd recommend a 'wind-stopper' (or equivalent) fleece jacket and some bear spray (plus a trail-guidebook).

Next year, if you had a blast this season, you can start investing in some more 'durable' (ie expensive) products and you'll have a much better idea of what you'll want.

(of course my recommendations would change materially if you were overnight-hiking or going to remote (not k-country) locales).

~P^2

Last edited by firebug; 03-13-2015 at 11:36 AM.
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post: