View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #446
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Even though it isn't in any proposal anywhere. I agree with Transplant, if the Oylmpics come to Calgary there's gonna be a new arena. This is an event seen by the world and despite the drawbacks it does bring the attention of the entire world to your city.

I just can't picture an advertisement showcasing the Calgary 2026 Olympics with a picture of the Dome in the background.

Oddly, the sentiment at work is much different than CP. People here want the city to chip in and pay a substantial amount. Their reasoning is they go to the Dome a lot more than any other building or facility in the city. Thought that was interesting. Maybe selfish and short sighted, but interesting.
Exactly.

There is a reason that the city voted in council to get back to negotiating with the Flames in regards to building a new arena, and it isn't for any other reason than they know they need one to have a realistic chance to win the bid.

That, alone, gives the CSEC leverage. They don't have to agree to anything with anyone right now, and as pressure is added to the city if they want to win the bid, that becomes more incentive to the city to have the Flames involved at any $$ rate they can. Particularly if they want a tenant secured to anchor the arena moving forward....something essential for them to sell to the public IMO.

I think its absurd to believe the city will build only another 7000 seat arena and nothing else in regards to legacy projects and hockey arenas moving forward. That alone would see a landslide victory for the no side on a plebiscite.....even though we may see that happen regardless.