View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #28
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post

I get it; domestic violence is reprehensible. But I honestly don't think I support any suspension in a situation like this. Heck, if they are worried about optics, all this has done is make the incident that much more visible. I read quite a bit of hockey news, and I had either missed or already forgotten that this was even a thing. So any harm to the leagues reputation was minimal.

I'm sure this opinion won't go over well. I'm all about calling out weirdos like Weinstein et al, but I think we are getting pretty caught up.
To the bolded....um, good? Domestic violence is drastically under-reported and rarely are charges actually filed. There is a lot of silent violence against women occurring daily, and the more this is in the public eye, the better. Half of all female homicides involve a domestic partner.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...imate-partners

This is also not about the league's reputation for the most part. It is about taking a moral stance on an important issue and letting these players know that this sort of thing simply isn't acceptable. That's coming from a league that deals in regular violence legally allowed in their sport, but the key difference being that those are willing participants. Also, the league has an opportunity to regularly engage with the public, and so they have a responsibility to discipline their players appropriately in an attempt to show the public just how wrong something like this is.

I actually think the punishment isn't harsh enough. I'd like to see half a season for incidents like these.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: