View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #2336
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm perfectly content with my old iPhone 6 and I have a solid "bring your own device" plan ($65 for 15 gigs with Fido). Because of that good plan, I always figured that my next phone would be bought outright as I would save more in the long run than being trapped in a more expensive plan just to subsidize a phone.

Well on February 5th, Fido changed their structures and now you can retain your existing plan exactly how it is, and then finance a phone for 24 months without interest, and at the end of it I would pay less than retail price and I would own the phone entirely.

I don't need the latest and greatest, but the two options that jump out are:

1) iPhone 8 64 gigfor $15/month for 24 months.
2) iPhone XR 64 gig for $25/month for 24 months.

And Fido is also running a promotion where I will receive an additional $50 bill credit for upgrading. Both options come in a fair bit below retail price, which is obviously more appealing than paying the full cost up front.

So the iPhone 8 is older now, but still 3 years newer than my iPhone 6 and by all accounts, all that I need. But getting the iPhone XR would future-proof things a little bit. It will be a better, more supported phone for an extra year or two. The two phones are, of course, quite different in their design. The iPhone 8 is the last of the traditional "home button" style, and the XR has the full screen front. I don't need more than 64 gigs, to be honest. My iPhone 6 is 64 and aside from the occasional photo dump onto my computer, I have never had to worry about space.

I have tinkered with Android and think there are some merits, but to be honest, I just can't be bothered to switch. My ecosystem at home is Apple-heavy already. I know they've got me by the short and curlies, but I think I'm OK with that.

I'm obviously a guy who doesn't want or need to switch phones much (5 years with this iPhone 6), but it does seem financially prudent to take advantage of this opportunity to upgrade. I could probably squeeze another year or two out of my current iPhone 6, but I don't mind the thought of something new. That phone has been great and owes me nothing, but it has reached the end of its support life cycle as well, so I would expect that once I am a couple of iOS versions behind, some apps won't be compatible like with my old iOS 10 iPad.

So - what's a guy to do? Any standout arguments to sway me between the two? I wasn't thinking about upgrading right now, but I also didn't think that Fido would offer something that made financial sense either.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote