View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #150
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's so brilliant. It was the one thing that drove me a bit crazy in TNG, then got substantially worse in Voyager. But they kind of got away from it in DS-9 and Enterprise.

Every episode, they'd just try stuff.

Riker - "there's a breach in space time captain"
Picard - "Solutions people"
Data (ultimate cheat) - "We'll what if we release a high powered inverse tacyon stream through the main deflector"
Geordie - "Yeah we can try that, I'll just need to completely invent a buffer circuit"

Now this is where someone should have jumped in and said "Yeah, I looked at what you're proposing, and they didn't design the deflector array to do anything like that and the power alone would fuse the entire warp core"

But instead

Picard - "How long to do that"

Geordie - "I can have it done in 15 minutes"

This is again where a red shirt should have jumped in and said "Um can we run this through a simulator or something first, because you know warp core"

Instead nope- They just do things in 15 minutes that the most brilliant minds in Star Fleet didn't come up with, and they always did it untested.

Voyager had that in nearly every episode. The worst thing that ever happened was in the original star trek when someone got a unknown version of space herpes, and McCoy would just start shooting people with vaccines without testing them on rats or whatever.

I would have liked to have seen the cummulative effects of all of these modifications. Where the engineer opens a panel and all you see is a ton of cross wiring, a couple of coke cans jammed in and a paper clip holding the warp core together.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: