Thread: Golf!!!2!
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 12:06 AM   #3199
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Fledge View Post
I never post here but am an avid golfer. I have to 100% agree with the "fitting is bs" thing.

I was a 13 handicap golfer who hit my buddies blades at the range one day (Mizuno MP-69). I just loved the feel and looks. Despite being a 13 handicap and not an outstanding golfer, I went ahead and got Mizuno MP-18 blades two years ago. BEST. DECISION. OF MY LIFE.

Despite every fitter saying I was getting better numbers with other irons (I had Taylormade M2 Tour irons at the time), I didn't listen and went with the blades. Zero regrets, and I have been as low as a 6 handicap since I made the switch (Currently 8 due to back issues).

When it comes to fitting, just go try some stuff and whatever YOU like the feel and look of, that's what you should get. Confidence and acceptance of a new iron is the most important thing in my opinion. I knew with these blades I had to get better at hitting the middle of the face... and I loved them so much that I made myself learn to hit the centre of the face. So whereas I am hitting blades that I "shouldn't be hitting", I love to practice and have gotten much better. You got Titleist game improvement irons, hate them, and likely don't want to learn to get better with them... so who won? The person that got "fitted" or the guy who just picked what he liked the look and feel of?

Long rant, I know... but I agree fitting is bull####. Hit a few, pick what you like.
Nice to hear someone has successfully made a blade switch. My opinion was the same when I got the blades..."I'll learn to hit them". Its kinda what happened, now I have to concentrate on where I hit them on the face, not just horizontally but vertically as well.

The funny thing is all that goes out the window when it's a driver...give me the tech there and a bigger sweet spot. Ha. Picked up a Cobra F9 driver online clearance and absolutely love it.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote