View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 12:43 PM   #6
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I just went through a huge declutter. 5 years ago I moved in with my then girlfriend and now wife into her smallish house with a single garage. I hauled all my stuff in from my place, and in no time the garage and basement was full of all my stuff. We ended up with duplicates of so many things. I am also a huge do-it-yourselfer, amateur mechanic, and just generally always have some stupid project on the go so my tools were a non negotiable.

Anyway, we knew we needed a bigger place, and to de-clutter. Last summer we bought a bigger house with a oversize double garage tons on basement storage etc, but still both of us needed to get rid of a lot of old but useable things.

I'm in the car business and sell a lot of my old beaters and non-running cars at Regal auction. They also run a monthly industrial/general goods online sale. So I figured if I can get something for this stuff... anything, why the hell not, regardless, I want it out of my life. Any amount of cash is a bonus.

So for the first month we were in the new house, we set aside one half of the garage and just started piling up all the usable to someone, but not to usable to us stuff, and every Saturday for a month, I made a dump run of the useless stuff. It was frikking therapeutic heaving all the worthless crap out of the back of my cargo trailer into the junk pile at the dump. Also I audited my entire tool collection and got rid of any duplicates or outdated tools I no longer used and threw them in the auction pile.

I filled my 12 foot cargo trailer twice, and made 2 runs to Regal with all our stuff..... It is bonkers what some people will pay for 20 year old corded drills, cheap Princess Auto welders, old paddle boards, toaster ovens, tie down straps etc. I ended up hauling in a little over 4 grand on a bunch of stuff I was perfectly OK with paying 1-800-GOTJUNK to haul away. Added bonus, I didn't have to deal with a bunch of mouth breathers on Kijiji asking me to deliver a $20 box of nails to Grande Prairie.

Anyway, when it was all said and done, it felt so good to not have to walk through a maze in the garage and basement, and I pocketed I nice chunk of change by putting in a little effort one day a week over a month.

So long story short, borrow a friends cargo trailer, rent a Uhaul.... whatever, collect it all up and let an auction deal with it. If you go that route, I would call them first and let them know what you have, and they will tell you what they will and will not take.

PM me if you need a contact there.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post: