Thread: Hot Sauces
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 07:59 PM   #51
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
For the holidays, my wife got me the season 16 full set of hot sauces from Hot Ones.

https://heatonist.com/collections/ho...39394065186914

I took it to a holiday party where all the men tried every sauce at least once to run the gauntlet. No joke at all, Da Bomb is ####ing gross and downright impossible to eat. Every other sauce, including the Apollo, was tasty if not crazy hot. Hellfire was close to being impossible to eat as well.

My favorites included the Bliss & Vinegar, which had a hint of strawberry in it, and the Seņor Lechuga adobo, black lime, and ghost pepper (the generic label one). All others had good and bad points, and I was surprised that only the last 3 were too much for me. There's serious heat in most of these, but if you know what to expect, it's not too bad and quite tasty. Not for the faint of heart though...if you find Tabasco or Sriracha too hot, stay faaaar away from these.
Since this thread brought up these sauces in my mind again, I decided to order some plain wings tonight and apply the sauces to run the gauntlet. Here's my official review:

1. The Classic: Great garlic and vinegar flavor, but just not nearly hot enough for my liking. A great introductory sauce for someone new to hot things.

2. Bliss & Vinegar: my first tasting loved the sweetness, but I found it to be a little too sweet and tasted too much of coconut. Still great vinegar and just enough heat to be satisfying.

3. The Hoff: a bit too much mustard flavor and not enough chili flavor. Decent heat, but not overwhelming. A solid sauce, but unspectacular.

4. Los Calientes: A great green chili sauce with solid heat, good vinegar flavor, and a touch of sweetness. Honestly, now my 2nd favorite.

5. Hot Heads: Surprisingly strong heat for a #5 that lingered a very long time. Decent flavor, but a bit on the acrid/bitter side. Not amazing.

6. Seņor Lechuga: Great blend of heat and flavor. The lime really punches through, but there are lots of other spicy blends that make the flavor pop. Has a bit of earthiness too. Really a great sauce. 10/10 and the heat is manageable.

7. Chile Lengua de Fuego: nice roasted green chili flavor, a surprisingly nice mix of acid and bitterness, and while it is hot, it's not nearly as hot as you would expect. Honestly, it surprised me the second time around. I really like this one.

8. Da Bomb: Didn't try it. I'm never eating it again. I will suggest it to my enemies as punishment.

9. Hellfire: This is where the heat overwhelms the palate. It's not bad or anything, but just not super tasty. It also uses black garlic which adds some earthiness, but takes away from the rest of the flavor profile. Just okay. Heat is pretty high, but manageable.

10. Apollo (last dab): I only put a little on...just a dab. That was enough. It's a weird sauce because the pepper doesn't always show up in the liquid, but when it does....hoooooooo boy. I had to take a break after that one. The part of my mouth that experienced that apollo pepper couldn't even take my hot breath on it without intense pain. The sauce itself is quite tasty, but I can't remember what it tasted like now because all I remember is pain.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: