View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 12:01 PM   #9
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Valentina.
Oddly, I find I especially love this stuff with Italian food. I find I like other options for Mexican food. I'd rate this a 2-3 spicy.

I have a few Asian chili oils that have a local instagram following. I quite like those for Asian food or fancy sandwiches. I'd say they rank between a 3-5 in spicy while maintaining good flavor. The ones that are slightly fermented are the tastiest.

Hit or miss, for those who like Sriracha should give Sambal Oelek a try. It's something in between Sriracha and Tabasco. I inexplicably love adding this stuff specifically to chicken noodle. Again, it's a 2-3 but I often just dump a good table spoon of the stuff for flavor. It's pretty easy to acquire in most places. Just don't mistakenly buy the garlic chili, it always looks similar, it's very disappointing.

My buddy made some pretty damn good stuff once. I was a Caribbean styled one based off of a family recipe with some "whatever I had on hand" tossed in. I recall he added cloves or something fragrant that just made it amazing. We were literally using it as a chip dip and dealing with the spice consequences later. I might have to bug him to make me some. Spicy rating it's around a 3-4.

Lately, I've been really enjoying gochujang. It's available in most Asian stores but best acquired at a Korean mart. I mix some sesame oil with the gochujang and it's great with veggies, especially peppers. This combo is intended for many recipes (ie: bibimbap), not just veggies. I quite like it with cucumbers too. I'd rate it a solid 1-2 spicy wise, but I consume it for the extra flavor than just pure spicy. It's nice to have a raw veggie dip that isn't completely weird when it's spicy.

** Spicy ratings wise, I'll use Tabasco as a baseline at a 4 (4 for spicy sensitivity purposes for the occasional person with lower tolerance). So you can attempt to compare the spicy level to tabasco. I'd rate Sriracha as a solid 3.

Also my attempt at a spicy rating is based on a relatively equivalent "measure" that maintains the unique flavor of the sauce, so you in theory could increase it by increasing the amount you add. I honestly find too many hot sauces with a "spicy rating" over 6 kinda boring. It tastes like pure capsaicin or a little bit chemically and it isn't really enjoyable. I'd rate eating a raw habanero around a 6-7. I personally prefer to enjoy the food and consume large portions at around a 3-4 rather than much smaller portions of 5+.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: