View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #276
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Citizen Ownership:

Flames sell the City 1/4 share in the franchise. The City in turn sells shares to citizens. For sake of argument, 1/4 share $150m (and a corresponding $150m share of the capital cost of the building).

Sell 150,000 shares at $2000 a piece to people that want to participate - they own a 1/4 of the franchise and have paid for a 1/4 of the building outright. It's an equity share, so they're share price increases with the value of the franchise - it would likely get an instant boost upon completion of the building. (I'd probably by 3-4 shares myself - we could have a Calgarypuck owners group).

I'd probably do this, as long as a) I saw the business plan for the arena and how a typical building usage schedule would look with Flames / concerts / events, etc. and b) if there was a possibility for my shares to be tied to more of the development of the district as a whole... residential and commercial included.

I also don't mind my tax dollars (within reason) going to a new arena / stadium / fieldhouse (if that was still on the table), because likely I'd use those facilities more than other city facilities anyways. The spurred surrounding development would be a good investment in the city, as well (who knows what cool places would pop up around it). I might be alone on that though, but I'm cool with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post: