Thread: [News] Flames recall Gillies
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #27
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think your response had anything to do with my post.

But Treliving has never lost a prospect (or an NHLer) for "nothing" except where he simply cut an RFA or ELC contract loose (like Morrison or Colborne).

You seem to think that Rittich is clearly better. Great. Perhaps management thinks otherwise. Perhaps they think he's hit a ceiling. Maybe they think he's better with fewer starts. Maybe they like him better but want to give Gillies every chance to prove them wrong. Maybe they have him in mind as a tradeable asset and want him to start in the NHL more. Or maybe they want to get Gillies into a game here for the same purpose.

One thing I know - Treliving doesn't sit on his ass - he makes every attempt to get value.
I don't know who will ultimately prove to be better. It may be that the organization still sees Gillies as having the better upside. But Rittich has been better over the past two seasons. I think opportunities should correspond to performance for the organization. Otherwise you are taking away the motivation for players to fight for spots.

I also think there's a high possibility the organization may regret not giving Rittich his due after he moves on.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post: