View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 11:18 AM   #3542
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Re: culture standing still in the past 20ish years. I used to think that, but I think it may be due to our ages as Psycnet says. I don't personally see a difference in fashion or music from say 2008 to 2016 but I bet kids growing up in that period do. Taking the same 8 year gap from my childhood, there's a huge difference to me from 1990 to 1998 in music and fashion for sure, but I bet 40 year olds at the time didn't notice or care.
Yeah, I mean that is kind of what I was wondering too. Maybe as you get older and live through changes, everything just starts to seem more the same. Conversely, a brain with less experience might over emphasize small differences. Two sides of the same coin, without one necessarily being wrong or right. Just a different perspective.

I would love to know how someone who lived through the 1950s and watched Back to the Future when it first came, felt about it. Did they think it was a big culture jump, or were the differences in culture and lifestyle more subtle to them, similar to how I feel about 30 years ago from today. To me, the major differences between today and 30 years ago are more inconveniences rather than pop culture differences.

One thing I do kind of hold to though is that music and fashion have not changed significantly at least in the last 20 years. I think the big industries that serve pop culture have figured out formulas that work and are pretty risk adverse to deviating from that formula. It seems it has been a while since there has been a shake up, and I think a big reason is that those kind of shake-ups used to happen when something, like a new musical sound for example, was formed in isolation before going mainstream. In the information age, everything is connected and nothing forms in isolation anymore. In theory, you think it would be a good thing because more maverick or off the grid things have access to a global audience, but it reality, I think the formulaic mainstream is so powerful that it projects itself onto things that would otherwise shift pop culture away from that.