View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #11
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenayguy9 View Post
So I decided to cancel my gym membership and purchase an ebike with the money I am saving. Has anybody done the same thing? I know there is a cycling thread on CP but I think there should be one ebikes. Does anyone have any good advice on their experiences in the ebike world? We are so fortunate to have so many great places to ride in Calgary and surrounding areas. One thing I read that I find interesting about ebikes is that they are “Climate change proof”as you can easily change your tires depending on what the weather and trail conditions are like.
eBikes are a game changer. I've put 5000km on mine. It takes away any excuse you might have for not riding in my opinion. Costs are variable depending on what you go with. I'm looking at an electric cargo bike to be our "second car" and I want something that will be a little more robust. So I'm looking at a Tern GSD S00, but the one I want is like $9000. The rad power bikes are a much cheaper alternative, but I have concerns about the serviceability of those and how long the hub drive motor will last long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t know if an e-bike and a gym membership cancel each other out. I find that an e-bike is like going for a brisk walk with moderate heart rate increase but not into my cardio zone aside form the odd hill. I’ve got about 3000 km on mine now that I am back everyday at work.

I use mine as a commenter and have a Rad City. That Bike is purely a pathway/commuter bike. The bike thread has had Ebike s discussed a few times so I’d a good resource to search through
This is completely dependent on you as the rider. I used my electric mostly when I had wind or when I had a hill to climb. But eBike riders are proven to ride longer and more often, so it's a net benefit. You can dial up or down your pedal-assist. I often had an average heart rate of around 135 bpm even with mild pedal assist and I kept a lot of weight off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR449 View Post
Is there anything that can handle the fury of winter??
Any bike can handle winter if you prepare it properly. I rode my Simcoe Roadster that I converted to an eBike all winter (my winter bike was stolen). Be careful though, winter in Calgary eats bikes.
GGG