View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 02:52 AM   #2214
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Hi all,

So a close friend of mine who is really big into road cycling has been bugging me to get into or at least get a bike better suited for my "abilities".

Currently I just have an Infinity mountain bike I had bought from Costco maybe 15-18 years ago. I don't really road cycle but do enjoy hitting Calgary's pathways and some light rides around town.

Long story short, I think it may be time to get a starter road bike and he has recomdned a few.

One that he has been working a deal on is a practically brand new Specialized Allez. It's my understanding that these are high quality starter road bikes. Fairly lightweight and from a well known company.

I know nothing about bikes and I am wondering if anybody has any recommendations? I am not a hardcore cyclists but I really do enjoy indoor cycling for keeping in shape but I don't know how well that will work with Covid. I enjoy using the Keiser M3 bikes at my gym since they are high quality bikes and have no real issue sustaining a 75-90 minute ride.

I'll probably be using the bike for some longer rides once the weather improves in the spring. A few questions.

New or Used?
Budget: Approx $700-1000

I don't know if this "theory" can really apply to bikes, I am sure it can though. I have always been a big fan of buying a higher end product from a tier 2 manufacture as opposed to an entry level product from a top manufacture. I find the value, the performance and the quality can be maximized that way.

Thanks in advance!
I often tell people who come into the shop that have never ridden a drop bar bike to try one out first . It is a different feeling and a bit of a learning curve. Honestly for your budget I would steer you towards a new hybrid lile a kona dew or similar styled hybrid flat bar. Your going to get way more bang for your buck. Your looking at around 1000 bucks for a entry level dropbar that will be spec'd well under that of a hyrid priced the same.

There are some sub 1000 bikes by like 50 bucks or so but generally I would steer clear as the are usually speced with ####ty cranks and shimano claris which os really not very good and I have seen many warranty issues the last few years.

You could try for used but make sure you either have them meet you at a shop so you can see if the shop can give it a look over or bring someone who is very knowledgeable about bikes with you. I cant tell you how many people come into the shop after just gettimg a used bike only to have to quote them 200 to 600+ for a repair bill as they bought it with worn out drivetrain,worn rims,tires,bearings,shock bushings and blown seals etc etc.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post: